Ubuntu readies the Karmic Koala

Discussion in 'News' started by GiddyG, Oct 27, 2009.

1. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

What do French gendarmes, Andalucian school children, Wikipedia and San Francisco International airport have in common?

It is not the set up for a tortuous pun. Instead all of them are big users of the free Ubuntu operating system.

The French national police force runs its operations on the open source OS; computer systems supporting Spanish schools have their own version; the online encyclopaedia runs its hundreds of servers on Ubuntu and SFIA's internal computer system is based around it.
    Ubuntu is based on Linux - the open source operating system that is maintained, expanded and extended by legions of fans and professional programmers around the world. Thanks to their efforts Ubuntu has become the most popular of all the Linux distributions.

On 29 October, version 9.10 of Ubuntu is released. All versions of the operating system have an alternative alliterative appellation. Ubuntu 9.10 is known as Karmic Koala. Read more here on the BBC site...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. dales
      dales
      Please god no more brown, I prefer the cool green of opensuse myself! Nice to see linux making mainstream news now though.
    2. GiddyG
      GiddyG
      I'll be downloading it to have a looksee. From the report, it looks quite 'friendly'. :blink
    3. dales
      dales
      I joke of course, ubuntu is a very nice OS, just wonder why they picked on the default david dickenson theme!:biggrin
    4. GiddyG
      GiddyG
      LMAO... as oppsoed to the SHREK theme you mean? :twisted: