Ubuntu - problem with gui

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by TimoftheC, Oct 29, 2007.

1. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Guys, I need a little help please.

I've had ubuntu installed for some months now (dual boots with XP) and have had it working ok, although I haven’t had a reason to boot it up for a while. I recently decided to boot up ubuntu to see if I could get a program running under it but the GUI failed to load. I get this message: -

"Failed to start the X server (your graphical interface). It is likely that it is not set up correctly. Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem?"

The options after that are simply yes or no. selecting yes gives me this message: -

"The X server is now disabled. Restart GDM when it is configured correctly."

selecting "ok" takes me to a prompt "xxx-desktop login: ". logging in takes me to the prompt "xx@xx-desktop:~$"

Then I remembered that I had recently upgraded my system with a new motherboard, Dual Core Processor and a new nvidia geforce card where a before I was using an ati card (I assume that this is the problem).

I have attempted to get help with this on the ubuntu forums without a lot of success - if it helps, the thread I started is here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=593605 (you'll probably pick up on my increasing frustration on this). In fact, just before I decided to post here, I had the ubuntu live cd in and was ready to re-install, however, the very thought of having to try and set up the wireless connection all over again filed me with horror.

I have tried the recovery option as well as trying to reconfigure X server again with sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg without success. I go through a menu with a lot of options but choosing "vesa" doesn’t solve the problem. I was advised to download the Linux drivers for my nvidia card directly and that is what I did, however, I am unable to actually install the driver and get it to appear in the reconfigure options.

I have also had a look on http://www.linuxforums.org/ and it seems that I should be able to reconfigure the x server again, I just can't do it with my limited knowledge.

Any help (especially a solution) would be greatly appreciated as always. Let me know if you need any more info or details.

Thanx

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  2. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

nevermind i see you have tryed that, did you try rename the config file?

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  3. TimoftheC

hmmm, I've sorta tried that already Thomas, ie I've ran "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" and it the video menu selected a few options, including vesa and nv. not tried it with the wording "dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg" so I'm gona go try it now :)

EDIT, npe, tried that Thomas and it didn't work :-( I tried the command as it was written in the link, without any spaces, with .org at the end instaed of -org and even with sudo at the beginning. Each time I got the same messake "Package 'xserver-org'
    is not installed and no info is available"

Not tried to rename the config file as I'm crap at moving around the command line at the moment. still got a lot to learn there

4. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

try

Code:
    sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.broken

5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Try just changing the driver in /etc/X11/xorg.conf to "nv" rather than the existing "ati" or "radeon" entry that was there before. That should take care of it. If that won't work, or making that choice from "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" doesn't work, the other thing you can try is to install the Nvidia drivers themselves. Ubuntu will have them in one of their repositories so you can use apt-get to install them, or you can download them from the NVidia site and run the NVidia installer.

You will need to find out which repository you need to add to /etc/apt/sources.list from the Ubuntu site to use apt-get. You can also find out from there if you will need to install any kernel-header packages along with the NVidia drivers from the NVidia site.

Did you have the the proprietary ATI drivers installed? If so you will need to uninstall them using the ATI uninstaller script that came with the ATI package you used to install them.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. TimoftheC

Thomas - you are a genius :D

booted to recovery, typed in the above, rebooted and selected ubuntu in the grub menu and hey presto - loaded normally.

Many thanx for that Thomas :angel

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm probably not going to win any popularity contests when I say this but in my opinion, one of the good things about running Linux is that it sharpens your troubleshooting skills and forces you to look under the hood to fix things. Windows can make you lazy that way. Good job getting that sorted :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. TimoftheC

Thanx Trip, although all the credit should go to Thomas.

I agree, trying to sort out a problem with ubuntu makes my brain hurt and I have to do a lot of research - and strangely I enjoy it :rolleyes: I always enjoyed messing around in dos and learning dos commands to get things does, I think its more rewarding that simply pointing and click.

9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Can't say I agree with you on this one Trip. I do plenty of 'under the hood' troubleshooting in XP, Server 2003 etc.. Just because something has an automatic GUI doesn't mean you can't poke around under the hood. I know what you are getting at, but it's too much of a generalisation in my opinion.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Glad you got that sorted Tim

11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I thought about that this morning and realized that you're right. My thought though was more on the desktop side than the server side. For the average XP user, once the system is set up, unless anything major changes, you don't really have to go in and edit any of the configuration files in the CLI emulator. I've got two XP boxes here at home that have been running for years and I've never had a problem with the display. I doubt that I ever had to open the CLI emulator, drill down into a config file, open it in a text editor, and modify any of the settings. On the other hand, there are times when you do that with Linux, even in a standard desktop deployment. Linux can still be a bit rough around the edges which is why I think it appeals to people who like to "tinker". :wink:

12. ffreeloader

Here, I'll disagree with you. You, personally, will do some under-the-hood work. Take a look around you though. What sort of percentage of Windows users do that? It's a very, very small percentage. The gui and wizards are the rule in Windows. You're the major exception to the rule.

13. ffreeloader

As an extension of this....

The rule in Windows users is like a guy I know. I tried to get him to use "runas" rather than logging in and out of Windows every time he needs to do some little task that requires admin privileges. You know what his answer was? He knew one way to do things and he didn't want to clutter his mind with other ways to do things.

He's a smart guy too. His intellect pretty much intimidates me sometimes. But, edit a text file? Use the command line? Not too much of a chance if there's a gui available. Even if it's much slower, he prefers the gui. He doesn't want to know more than the gui if at all possible.

14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

"runas". Isn't that like "sudo"? :tongue

15. ffreeloader

I don't know. What's sudo? :twisted:

16. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I think the opposite can also be true. I have seen people in the past who are real command line junkies who will use it as much as they can, even when there is a quicker way to do the same task using a GUI.

I prefer to use a mix of both and will tend to use the technique that will get me the result I need as quickly as possible. I don't think one is better than the other, they both have their places.

I think you are making a real sweeping statement here as amongst fellow techies I have worked with over the years, I certainly haven't been in the minority when it comes to the amount I have used the command line as opposed to GUI based Wizards. I personally started off on PC's with DOS and come from a programming background. I will very often try to achieve thing by using scripting etc.. when I can.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  17. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

popcorn anyone? :twisted:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009