Ubuntu on the move

Discussion in 'Software' started by greenbrucelee, Apr 21, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

More consumers are moving to Open source platforms such as Ubuntu, the new version of Ubuntu dubbed Hardy Heron is released soon. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7358483.stm

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Aye, and Fedora 9 (final) is due out on May 13. Been playing with the alpha and beta, BIG grin!

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  3. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

I'm on Ubuntu - gutsy gibbon. Sometimes I really like it and other times it annoys the hell out of me! Then again so did XP. It's not as pretty as vista, but I think instead it has more of an 'Amiga' feel to it.

...if anyone is thinking of installing it -definitely give it a go.

Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

If you have a Nvidia graphics card, and are using the proprietary Nvidia drivers, try setting up Compiz Fusion. It will make Vista's graphics look pretty bad and use far fewer resources than Vista uses for its graphics to do it.

I ran it on a 1.8 ghz Athlon with a GeForce 6200, and it was pretty responsive. There are so many more options that it just isn't funny. There must be a total of 60 - 70 settings options, minimum. With a modern cpu and graphics card it would fly.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Now all we need are a few games, and we're in bizness! :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. oztrailrider

oztrailrider Nibble Poster

I really like compiz. I ran it on the test box I have that only has an Athlon X2 3600+ and a GeForce 6150 GPU integrated on the motherboard and it was quite responsive on that machine, plus it has loads of effects!. I don't think Vista would be so nice on that system...

Certifications: MCP (70-270)
    WIP: A+
  7. Crito

Crito Banned

And did I mention Mandriva Powerpack -- the pay version, sorry -- comes with Cedega?

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=777371
    http://www.transgaming.com/products/cedega/
    http://www.transgaming.com/imgs/transgaming/screenshots/screen_cedega01.jpg

Here's a good review: http://www.softwareinreview.com/linux/mandriva_linux_powerpack_2008.0_review.html
    Main things to remember about Mandriva is they're focused on the desktop that other distros have abandoned (Red Hat, Novell) and they aren't open source zealots (like Ubuntu) so lots of proprietary and closed-source software is included.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  8. Crito

Crito Banned

9. ffreeloader

I agree. Vista would be a lot slower, but Vista also has far less eye candy and graphical effects than Compiz has. Add Fusion and the Emerald Window Decorator to standalone Compiz and it's quite a package.

I installed Compiz, Fusion, and Emerald from Shame's "unstable" repositories and couldn't believe what all was available.

10. BosonMichael

But... but... I get gaming compatibility for FREE, now! :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  11. Crito

Crito Banned

Funny thing is some Windows games actually run faster under Linux than natively under Windows. And some old Windows games won't run at all under Vista but still work perfectly fine with WINE.

12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have never really got the whole Linux versus Windows thing, maybe I am a bit naive to it all but Windows works well enough for me and it should for anyone if it's configured correctly and you really don't have intervene into it for it work.

I have tweaked my XP PC to run as fast as possible such as running it for best performance and having the page file on a seperate parition (Learned that from Trips book) I don't have any performance issues what so ever, especially when it comes to running powerful games like Cysis.

According to a few articles I have read I shouldn't be able to run Crysis very well my graphics card is an Nvidia 8600GT, I have 2GB RAM with a 3rd GB available if I want (but it isn't the same make as the other two dimms, so I took it out to increase latency) my CPU is a C2D 2.1GHz. I get crysis running at 1024 x 768 resolution with High detail and medium on everything else.

So I have no issues with XP

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  13. Crito

Crito Banned

If your computer came with Mandriva pre-installed you'd probably be saying the same thing about Linux: "It works well enough for me so why bother trying Windows."

I, personally, find it absurd that it costs more to buy Vista Ultimate than to build the PC I'm installing it on. In a free market the cost should have gone down as MS ramped up production. Instead the exact opposite has happened, which to me indicates monopolistic price gouging.

14. ffreeloader

LOL. This discussion has happened here before. I was told MS doesn't price gouge and that people would be happy to pay them even more for their OS. I was also told MS is not now, nor ever has been a monopoly, and that their business practices are just fine and dandy....

I pointed out how the price point for performance vs the cost of hardware is always going down and the cost of MS's OS is always going up. To a person this forum denied this is evidence of monopolistic price gouging and said software just doesn't fit the rules of economics like hardware does.

You will find a lot of opposition to the idea that MS is ripping people off with their price structure.

15. BosonMichael

But everything I want/need doesn't come on Mandriva. Most people would likely be fine with it.

16. Crito

Crito Banned

Hardware is more prone to diseconomies of scale than software. We're talking about a product that, in many cases, can be transported across the globe for free over the internet.

17. Crito

Crito Banned