U Certify

Discussion in 'A+' started by Jaron78, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Hi Guys,

Has anyone got an experience of UCertify?

I have the Mike Myers book, and watching the Professer Messer vids, but wondered on your thoughts of UCertify.

The 701 Test kit is about £60.00 which personally, I thinks not bad. Considering things are a bit tight this month (my first payday since being unemployed for four months) I was looking to get the 701 kit this month, then the 702 study kit next month

http://www.ucertify.com/certifications/CompTIA/a-plus-2009.html

Any comments appreciated.

Cheers

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep. I've got tons of experience with them spamming forums with hidden advertisements, posing as people supposedly interested about uCertify's products or sales or what have you in order to boost their visibility. Not saying you're doing that - you're not a first-time, drive-by poster. I simply point out the questionable practices they've engaged in.

I'd recommend going with any of the well-known, trusted practice exam providers - in no particular order, Transcender, Self Test, Boson, MeasureUp, PrepLogic. Don't just go for the cheapest... download demos from each and judge the quality for yourself. You usually get what you pay for.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Jaron78

Ahh I see, well thats certainly confirmed I wont be buying their products.

I like the look of the Transcender stuff, though at $200 would this be a bit steep? I understand that you get what you pay for, but its almost as much as the exams. Have you had experience with Transcender Michael?

Comments are very much appreciated, thank you.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

heres my Opinion

I had the demo of ucertify and thought it was crap, I also had the demo of transcender and preplogics exams which I ended up buying both now if you can get past the spelling mistakes and crap gramatical errors in the Transcender one then you will be fine. Preplogics was so so.

I had the opportunity to review Bosons 600 series just after I had passed my A+ and can say 100% go with Boson. Not only are the questions clearly laid out and easy to read but they also come with links and examples of why the answer is what it is and why it is. Infact you could call it not just a practice exam but a study tool.

If was doing my A+ now I reckon I would have gotten a higher score because of the Boson exams.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I'll jump in and answer. Michael and I used to work for Transcender, so yes Michael has some experience with them ;)

Long story short, he and I both left Transcender in 2005. Other than the demos we've seen online, I can't vouch one way or the other for Transcender's current quality. When we left, Transcender and Self Test products were identical in every way except that Transcender products had 10% more questions. If you are seriously thinking about Transcender, I'd recommend looking at Self Test instead. I'm not sure the extra 10% is worth the extra cost, considering both products are made by the same team.

I'm certainly biased, but in addition to checking out Transcender and Self Test, I'll recommend checking out the A+ products at Boson. One of the original founders of Transcender now owns Boson, and a number of previous Transcender employees, including Michael and myself, now work for Boson. We're following the same practices and attention to quality that we had at Transcender before Kaplan bought them. And, I worked on the A+ products, so I feel very comfortable in recommending them. :biggrin

It's true that Transcender and Boson are more expensive than some other practice test providers. However, Michael and I know firsthand how much time and effort it takes to create a quality product. The best advice I can offer you is to download practice tests from several different vendors and do a direct comparison to see which one will work best for you.

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I tried a Ucertify demo exam many, many years ago when I was just starting out.
    At the time, it was one of the few offering CIW practice exams.

Meh.

Didn't blow me away, but it seemed to work.
    Chose not to pay money for it though.

I think I've just managed to get off their mailing list after changing my name, gender and moving to Wales...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. BosonMichael

Good practice exams will cost good money, because good technical authors aren't cheap. You wouldn't want someone non-technical who makes minimum wage to be writing your training materials, would you? :biggrin

Well, the A+ exams are $168 each... I'd say that $100 per exam is quite a bit less than each exam costs.

That said, you are correct that it is not an insignificant percentage. So what do (or should) you get for the price?

- A simulation of how the exam is going to be... so you're not shocked or feel blindsided when you go in there.
    - The confidence that you're *really* ready for the exam... so you don't unnecessarily waste time studying when you could be testing.
    - Additional information not just so you can pass the exam, but so you can be a better tech as well. A well-crafted practice exam isn't just a bunch of questions and answers... it explains why the right answers are right AND why the wrong answers are wrong. If you read through ALL the explanations - even for the questions you answer correctly - you will probably learn a lot, and you will solidify what you already know.

Consider the alternative: if you're NOT ready (either because you didn't study enough or because you didn't use the right study tools), it'll be a $168 mistake (or multiple $168 mistakes) to find out... not to mention having to buy more study tools to fix what you thought you knew, spending the extra time to study, missing another few hours of work, and enduring the comments of your boss and/or coworkers because you didn't pass the first time.

I am TranscenderMichael. 8)

I worked for Transcender from 2001 to 2005. In late 2003/early 2004, the parent company of Self Test purchased Transcender. They kept 9 of us out of 45ish employees, and only 2 of us were content developers (myself and BosonJosh). They then told us that they'd be outsourcing the content development to India, and we were to edit what they produced. It was horrible, and in 2005, I left because I couldn't stand the lack of attention to quality. Josh left a few months before I did.

One of the original founders of Transcender bought Boson in 2005, and in 2007, they were looking to bring their content development in house, like we used to do it at Transcender. So they hired me and Josh to lead the content development efforts at Boson. And here we are! :biggrin

EDIT: Looks like I spent too much time crafting a response - Josh has already answered! :D

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. Jaron78

Well chaps, there's certainly a lot of Food for thought.

Its between Boson and Transcender at present so will have a look at the Demos and let you know.

Thanks very much for your helps, it is appreciated.

Cheers,

Ron

9. DutchTech

DutchTech New Member

Just sticking my nose in, but IMHO I think Boson is the way to go. Definately helped me to pass the exams and had better quality questions than any other practice questions I'd seen. Also Boson had obviously spent some time preparing full explanations of the answers with links and cross references, too.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  10. BosonMichael

We appreciate the praise, DT! Thanks! :thumbleft

Please let us know if we can be of further service to you.