Two weeks into my new job...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by gosh1976, Feb 21, 2011.

1. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

So, I am two weeks into my new job and I thought I would give a little update of what I have been up to in those two weeks and how things are going. I think the job is going pretty well so far. It is a really small company and we have clients that range from local government, police and fire services to small business and home users and we also support a couple branch offices of larger enterprise corporations. My title is level2 technician. We have an office manager that also functions as a level1 tech and a part time guy that is a level1 tech. Then there's the boss so a very small company indeed.

It seems like I'll get a wide variety in my day to day activities. I've done a ton of virus removals, replaced a broken hinge in a laptop, gone on-site at businesses to troubleshoot printer and scanner issues, wireless issues, replaced a router (that was fun got to trouble shoot an IAD). I have gotten to install a web portal for some software that a fire department uses and troubleshoot a magistrates server issues. Did I mention virus-removal? yeah there's a lot of that.

It's a bit rough when it comes to time management with school and work. I had so much time to study at my old job and next to no commute. Now on Mondays I leave home at 7am and don't get back until after class usually somewhere around 11pm.

So, anyway for those job hunting out there just keep plugging away. I have no idea how many resumes I sent out but it was hundreds and hundreds. This wasn't my first IT job but the last IT was many years ago now.

Oh the other cool thing that I did this past week was build a new PC with a 6 core AMD PhenomII. I hadn't planned on doing any gaming with it and stuck with integrated graphics. after building it and seeing how low the processor and memory usage was even with a VM runnning I decided I had to go out and buy Call of Duty and Fifa 2011!!

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Well done and congratulations:) keep working hard and learning as much as you can as you go along.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Megan

Megan New Member

Is the new job still going well? I’m struggling to get into the industry, and I was wondering if it is worth all the effort once you are in!

4. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

It's always worth the effort once you land it, if you are that passionate about IT and the work, it's always worth it :)

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  5. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

Absolutely, If you enjoy working with technology like I do it is worth the effort. I'm not learning something new everyday but close to it. I gave up on IT after working in the industry for a while and I regret it immensely as it took me 6 years to get back into it. I highly recommend getting some real world experience in any way possible. All the studying and labbing in the world doesn't prepare you fully for what happens in production environments with people depending on you to get things working again!

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  6. Megan

Megan New Member

I have managed to get some work experience, and it is going quite well! So yeah, guess you are right, it is worth the effort!