Two ADSL modems

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Gaz 45, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Hi guys, can anyone tell me if it's possible to run two ADSL modems on one phone line at the same time (connected to two different computers)? I'll provide more details if need be. Cheers

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

will definatly need more info mate
    are you looking at having two DSL connections running on your line? as as far as i am aware thats NOT possible, but you may be able to have two lines, and hence two DSL connections
    not 100% on that though

you cant connect to the service twice from two points though, you would be better of getting a shared internet solution such as a router/firewall or mirosoft ICS (i advise against ICS)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Can't you do that with modems though, to increase your bandwidth. It does seems to be not cost effective to have 2 adsl modems considering the cost but if you can use 2 modems to increase bandwidth why not dsl as well. Prob talking complete rubbish now so I'll shut up and sit in the corner and hide. :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

im not sure what the poster is asking AJ
    in order to use two modems to increase your speed you needed two seperate lines and special modems, connected to the same PC

ADSL would again require two lines, and even this may be impossible due to the actual technology and the way it utilises the copper in the last mile
    you MAY be able to have two adsl modems and 'dial up' to your ISP seperatly one at a time, but it would still be far easier to get yourself a switch and some cable, a router/firewall and your set, as last i check its recommended that the ADSL modem be connected directly to the master NT socket

as for teaming the two modems to get increased throughput, this would NOT one only having one line, and its usually more cost effective to just upgrade your link, you would require two ADSL connections, two modems capable of teaming, etc, and two phone lines

so your paying BT twice
    the ISP Twice
    and paying for two modems

5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Yup - it's one modem per line, I'm afraid, otherwise you could buy a half meg line, stick a couple o cheap ADSL modems on it (one off cost) and VIOLA - 1 Meg line.

Nice thought tho [​IMG]

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. AJ

No I think what I was saying is to have 2 adsl lines both linked individualy to an isp and then to a modem and prob then into 2 network cards. Both of these lines are separate and individual. So the question remain, can they be linked and increase the bandwidth.

I hope I haven't stolen the thread here but it seems an interesting subject matter, not practical but interesting.

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Fair point, AJ. See what you mean I mean, w2k has support for multilink protocols, which I assume your meaning. Just seems like a sledgehammer to crack a nut, thats all.

8. AJ

Quite right, but the question still remains, can it be done.

Any takers on this???

9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

provided you can get two adsl lines over two phone lines
    then yes, although it may not be as simple as two modems + two network cards

there was a special product i remember

hmm
    not the product i was refering to, but..

theres one example of what else is required :D

10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Ok as I see it he has 1 line in and wants to use it like it's 2 lines in. Maybe he has 2 pc's at opposite ends of the house and is not able to connect them together. I would say it's possible but you would need an adapter for multiple connections to the phone line. Then both adsl modems would have to be configured for the same ISP settings. As you are effectively sharing the same line the bandwidth would be halved, so what's the point.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

chances are you can only establish one connection to the ISP at a time, so you would effectivly have to use it in a 'dial up' sort of mode, one modem can be conencted at a time

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

I still don't think it can be done, as one modem would cause interference or loss of sync to the other - you could easily end up in a situation where neither could use the line...

13. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Quite a discussion going on here!

Nugget's got the situation right there, have my comp and my dad's both trying to connect to 1 ADSL line. It currently doesn't work and i'm not seeing any signs that it will. Not running a network because my dad doesn't fancy spending the money and i'm broke having not worked for 6 months. When both computers are on the first one to connect will drop the connection & lose dial tone, while the other will not connect at all. Bought the second modem because we got bored carrying the modem up and down stairs all the time. I was under the impression that you could connect them both, and would share the bandwidth (I never expected a 2Mb line to suddenly appear!), obviously I was mistaken. Thanks for all the comments

14. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

well i can understand the money issue, but being you were willing to spend the money on another modem to save some walking you may be suprised to learn how cheap it would be to set up a network :)

assuming you have a decent OS
    your looking at 2x network cards (if you dont already have them/built into mobo) 5quid each
    1x switch (20quid, can be had cheaper for crappier ones)
    1x cable (estimate 50p per meter)

set up ICS on the machine the modems connected to, or use WinRoute
    problem solved

for under 50 quid
    but i understand that can sound a lot :) check u have got network cards and u knock 10 quid off straight away, and see if you can return the modem :)

15. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

If your seriously going down the budget route, I'd say "what Phoenix said" but lose the switch - if your laying cable anyway, use a crossover to connect the 2 NICs directly. Doesn't give you any scope to expand into /train with a "real" network, but it would achieve the primary objective.

HTH :D

16. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Yup, I would go with Jak on this one. Not an ideal situation, but if money is tight, then just get a crossover cable, and an extra net card (one on each machine for the crossover, one extra on one of the machines for the modem, then just enable ICS :D )

You can always get yourself a switch/router when the money starts rolling in.

HTH

Andy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  17. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

im guessing the modem may be USB?

18. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I hate to say it, but either you buy a cheap 5 port switch or buy a wireless router. With the cheap switch, you'd have to run cable to the PC upstairs.

Basically, you run your phone line into the ADSL modem and then run a cable from the modem's LAN port to the switch. Plug in cables from the PCs that want to connect and it will work. The modem will do NAT so you can run a small, private LAN in the home.

If you want to go wireless, some ADSL modems also have a wireless AP function (mine does). If so, just plug a USB wireless nic into your Dad's PC and make sure it connects to the AP in the modem. If the modem doesn't do wireless, you'll probably have to buy a wireless router to do the job.

I know that these solutions probably don't fit the current budget, but they are the ones that are most likely to work. ICS and a crossover cable should work as a "workaround" until you can afford the hardware for the other options. Of course, you still have to run the cable from your Dad's PC to yours. You could do the equivalent wirelessly with two wireless USB nics set to ad hoc mode and not have to get an AP. Just a thought.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  19. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Yeah, I understand the networking options, were looking at them before we got ADSL & have run a 5 computer network at uni (using a cheap switch). There's very little reason for connecting the computers other than to share the ADSL line, and i'd rather set up a wireless network than have cables running around. Seeing an agency this afternoon & have an interview on tuesday, so may be able to afford a router soon! (and Fable, Half Life 2, Halo 2, and everything else I promised myself once I geta job!)
    Again, cheers for all the comments & advice given

20. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Good luck with the interview Gaz mate