Tv channels

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by zxspectrum, Nov 5, 2010.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Ive caught a few bits and bobs of V on channel one and its got me more and more intrigued, because as a kid i remeber the first attempt when aliens, who where supposed to help us, ended up having a war with us etc. Anyway as i said, channel one (was virgin) have started showing the second series, but ive missed them as well so basically i want to start from the beginning, when they arrive etc, and be able to catch up at my lesuire.

Ive found a site that will let me do this, its called Hulu.com, and theres a lot more tv on there that may be interesting, its the ameriocans version of out see saw site etc. Now i cant watch this hulu.com because im from the uk. But ages ago (even though i cant find the episode) click from the bbc reported on a way around this, although, im notsure of the legality. Basically people would connect to a site from anywhere with a net connection and could watch what ever they like, unrestricted. They could access iplayer from the states and im sure they could access hulu from the uk without any blockage . This is where im stuck, i think they used a VPN to establish a connection, or used some form of software that masked their IP address, in particular, the bit of the IP address that lets a computer know which country your connection from.

Does anyone know of either way i could do this, as channel one dont let you watch V online, in a catch up kind of way.

Any help is appreciated.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. mcbro

mcbro Byte Poster

http://strongvpn.com/ (there are other sites, first one i came across)

Connect to an American server and you have an American IP.

Certifications: MCITP:EA, CCNA
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

They are called anoymizing proxy services, basically find a proxy in a country that the site expects. Since the proxy makes the request the geolocation lookup on the IP will pass.

The downside is you will usually have to pay for a proxy service that is reliable and fast enough to transmit video.