TS message prompt

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Theprof, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hey,

This might help those who are studying for the server 2k3 exam and maybe others who administer any 2k3 server.

I was doing a lab with terminal services and one of the labs is to setup a terminal server. So I did, when time
    came to connect and use the terminal server I kept on getting a message prompt saying something like this:

To log on to this remote computer, you must have Terminal Server User Access Permissions on this computer.
    By default, members of the Remote Desktop group have these permissions. If you are not a member of the Remote
    Desktop Users group or another group that has these permissions, or if the Remote Desktop User group does not
    have these permissions, you must be granted these permissions manually.

At first I thought it was something like a misconfiguration of some permissions which is what the message states.

I spent about 1 day going through every permission possible and everything seemed properly configured. I then started
    looking online to see if anybody had the same issue and came across this blog that the gentleman posted.

As it turns out the 120 day period of using the terminal server expired and in order to continue using it you have
    to purchase CALs and install if I am not mistaking but a terminal server licensing.

I am pretty sure that most of you probably know that about a terminal server, I know I did, but what I find amusing
    about this problem is that the message that you get does not even point in that direction. Which is why it had me
    very confused.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA