Trying to open the login dialog on a Windows Server 2003 VM

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by tripwire45, Nov 14, 2007.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm trying to get on a Windows Server 2003 VM running on some variety of VMWare Server software (I don't know which version). The particular vitual server I tried to work with was off, so I turned it on. When presented with the "press Ctrl+Alt+Del" prompt, I pressed "Ctrl+Alt+Insert" since that's how you get the login dialog on a Windows VM running on a Windows host when the VM is running in VMWare Workstation 5.5.

Unfortunately, this resulted in nothing. I tried "Ctrl+Alt+Del" and got the Windows Security dialog on my Windows XP PC. What I *didn't* get and expected was a prompt from the virtual machine telling me what I *should* be using for a key combination. There has got to be a way to do this, but I've searched both the VMWare site and the web with no luck.

Anybody know what I'm missing?

(Yes, I could just ask one of the guys here, but they're kind of busy and I'd rather...if I can...get the answer without them).

Thanks.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Im not a VM user but can you send a 'ctrl+alt+delete' from the GUI? If you right click on the top of the VM window is the option there? Just a guess! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Oh duh. I've been clicking on the "Remote Control" menu and it says "Send Ctrl+Alt+Del Host+Del". I've been trying to figure out the right key combo to send "Host+Del" (what the heck is the "Host" key, anyway). Turns out that if I just click on that selection, the login dialog appears. Thanks. :)

4. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

I've not used VM but in MS Virtual PC the host key is the RightALT key. It could be the same?

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

They could be, but since I'm logged into the virtual server and I'm getting work done, I'm not going to rock the boat by messing around now. :wink:

6. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Ctrl+Alt+End

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Nope. I tried that early on and it didn't work.

8. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

I havent got an insert button on my keyboard and the combination i think it was the print screen key (in replacement of the insert button)... i havent got VMWare installed so i cant verify this...