trying to install a BIN in ESX service console.. its not working!

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Mikeyboy, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Hi all,

Me again - just a little niggle, on one of my servers (dell poweredge) it constantly has an error display saying the log is full, and I want to clear this. As I have ESX installed I cannot use the dell open manage, so a bit of research gave me two options - burn and run a CD (it doesnt have a CD drive so will have to wait until I can borrow a USB drive) or install the Linux version of the Dell System E-Support Tool (DSET).

Downloaded this

Drivers and Downloads | Dell [United States] System E-support Tool (DSET)%2C v.2.2%2C A00

and it has given me a .bin file, it says, and I quote:

but when i do that, it just says command not found... so any one any ideas what I can do?

Have had a look on power edge forums, but thought this is more of a Linux / vmware issue rather than specific to dell servers, as i just need to install this bin file.

Thanks

Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is the error message on the front display of the server?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. mcbro

mcbro Byte Poster

Can you not just mount the bin file using a virtual cd/dvd drive and run it that way?

Certifications: MCITP:EA, CCNA
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Umm isn't DSET usually run from it's own OS? I wouldn't expect to run a bin file from the ESX console like that, I would usually use a bootable USB drive.
    Additionally you would usually expect to clear Dell event logs from the front panel.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, I think you can also purge the log file in the BIOS as well.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

hm, any idea how? (to clear from front panel)

it is a power edge 2850 - there is a button which i press next to the display, and it just makes the display flash instead!

will have a look in the BIOS see if there is anything in there I can see...

7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Have you tried logging into the DRAC and seeing what that shows you?

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

DRAC?!

I saw that mentioned somewhere - is that a system partition?

9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

No, it's your IPMI or BMC card (basically it allows out of band management of the server, it 'should' be configured with it's own IP address to allow remote management).

I don't mean to be rude but... you're supposed to be managing a server here, DRAC (Dell) or ILO (HP) cards aren't exactly new so you really should know about them already and if you're already playing around on advanced OS's such as VMware you REALLY should be aware of them.

10. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Hi Simon,

Sorry didn't really explain, these are my home test servers!

How can identify if I have one of these DRAC in there, dont think mine has one in but could have missed it, i just plugged in the power & network and installed ESX on them.

11. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Ahhh :)

When the server boots there should be an option to configure the DRAC, additionally there should be an additional NIC port in the server for you to plug your management cable into.

12. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Don't worry if you haven't got DRAC as these are normally a upgrade with Dell Servers.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5