Trusted Platform Module?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Juelz, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I've looked online about how it works etc but I swear I read that in can pinpoint the location of the device, is this true?

2. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

In itself no, TPM is just a piece of hardware that's used to securely store information, most commonly encryption keys and the like.
    I believe some of the Intel vPro anti theft stuff has this capability when you sign up to the necessary service.
    Ultimately though if your machine doesn't have GPS or maybe a mobile sim installed the only thing anything would have to go on for location is IP address, and that's not going to tell you exactly where a laptop is without going to an ISP and getting record of who had which IP at the time.

Juelz likes this.
  3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Thanks alot for that info, very informative.

4. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

TPM is a ballache!

I was in China last year and their government required our business to use TPM, which caused me a few problems.

That said - good hardware if utilized correctly

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  5. Vince Polston

Vince Polston Nibble Poster

No man. You're confusing TPM with lo-jacking. TPM is essentially a microprocessor that assists in encryption. Lo-jacking is built into the BIOS of some models that when combined with a service that you pay for that can help track the location of the laptop. I haven't personally touched the stuff myself though.