Trouble with Printing...think this can go here!

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by Arroryn, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I am trying a 250 document run.

Each document has a field code with the date. Whenever I try to print, the field code for the date automatically reverts to today's date.

It is ridiculously imperative that I cannot alter the contents of any document, and the original date of the document has to be printed.

I have tried putting Word into Safe Mode for the print, but this doesn't stop the Field Code from updating.

Does anyone know any commands/switches I can put into the properties of the DOC file type to stop the field codes from updating?

OR any simpler, better suggestions?

Much ta!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Arroryn, how many different dates are there, are you saying that each document has a different date or is this one document that you want 250 copies of?

If it's the latter, you could either delete the date field and just type the date you want or if for some reason the document is protected, you could temporarily set the date of the computer to the desired date.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Thanks for the answer, Blue - found a workaround in the end.

Each document couldn't be physically altered, because of their intended use. It was the way of printing that had to be changed.

I ended up changing the properties of the DOC file (Explorer Menu, Tools, Options, File Options)

I added on a 'QuickPrint' option on the menu when you alternate click. With a bit of DDE, I basically instructed it to open the .doc file within Publisher, and print from there - because Publisher doesn't have any field codes, it couldn't try to update, so it used the data that it already had.

Groovy, huh?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well groovy hey 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

This is why I hate MS Office. It's ridiculously difficult if not impossible to do the simplest things sometimes. Look at this example, what a studpidly complicated workaround for something just because Word is doing what it wants to do, not what you wan t it to do. Hate it.:x

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270