Trojan horse detected

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by flex22, Sep 28, 2004.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

My firewall is on (XP Pro firewall) and my AVG is up to date.

A dialog box has appeared on my Computer telling me that a Trojan horse dialler has been detected in "Spybot search and destroy" (it gives the serial number as well)

How do I get rid of this, as when I run AVG it finds it but can't heal/get rid of the bugger.

Also can anyone recommend a decent free firewall.So much for SP2's new and improved security.I only installed SP2 the other flamin day, and get my first virus since ages straight away.

Yes I've checked, my firewall is on:!:

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Never once been let down by ZoneAlarm Flex - free and works. Never let me down once, and it runs quite happily with SP2 firewall too.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Thanks Jak.

Ok so how do I remove this bas&^rd thing???

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Do you have a fully up to date Adaware ? IMHO it is better than Spybot, and will remove most spyware you have picked up from your sordid surfing, m8. :oops:

Just make sure it IS fully up to date tho - second icon from the right in the top corner...

5. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Hey flex, one of my friends machine's has the same problem. The directory that it say's is infected doesn't actually exist. :blink

I've spent many hour's scratching my head over it. AVG definitely detect's something, but the scan's alway's come up all clear. :eyecrazy :evil:

He has Zonealarm installed, and I can't seem to find any sign of infection or malicious activity. Basicly, i don't know wtf is going on, or how to solve it just like you. :x

Edit: My mate uses ad-aware, and although he picks up all sorts of stuff from
    naughty site's, he scan's at least once every two day's, and keep's it up to date.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

7. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for now.I'll let you know if it makes any difference.

Adaware actually detected an earlier verison of adaware durin setup.i must have forgotten I had it :oops:
    I've also use 'House Call' before, but not for a while.

Not being very vigilent lately :oops:

8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

S&D is a pain in the arse, it runs various things in the background (to monitor the system, apparently), but it annoyed me so much i uninstalled it, yet i still occasionally get errors from S&D at the bootup. grrrrr.

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  9. Bull Gates

Bull Gates Byte Poster

Fergal, Jus click Start>>Run>>MSConfig & Press Enter
    From the dialog box that appears u'll b able to "search n destroy"
    the references to S&D. U'll b able to c them on the Startup tab.
    If u r not able to find ne references to S&D on the Startup Tab of
    MSConfig then u may probably find some shortcuts in the Startup
    Folder situated in the Program Group of the Start Menu

Certifications: MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  10. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

had a look bull, but i couldnt find any references to it, ill just email them and find out about it, was just pointing out that S&D does that, which may be picked up as trojan activity!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present