Tricky Networking Situation

Discussion in 'Networks' started by tripwire45, Feb 5, 2007.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I've got an interesting networking challenge. I'm not sure there's a resoution but I figured this would be a good place to ask. The details are on the attached diagram. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

yes it is called ip aliasing:

Linux/BSD:
    http://freebsd.peon.net/tutorials/6/
    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Alias/index.html
    http://pachome1.pacific.net.sg/~harish/linuxipalias.html

Windows:
    http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-of-Mon-20020701/116915.html

Cisco:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...ommand_reference_chapter09186a00802db6fc.html

HTH

supag33k

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  3. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

tripwire45,

Do you have some sort of business class DSL service that has a static IP?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Nope. Dyanamically assigned public IP. When I discover that they've changed my IP on me, I change my name to address mappings on my DNS service to match. Kind of a pain but that's the way it goes.

5. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

tripwire45,

Questions:
    1. Is it technologically possible to upgrade your DSL to a static IP service?
    2. If you upgraded to a static IP DSL service with your current ISP, how many static IPs could you be assigned by the ISP?
    3. Since you mention "DNS service", does that mean your domain's DNS server is external to your home network?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Supa has linked to how it can be done but I would be more concerned about your residential upload speed - your wired writer site is already pretty slow at times (for me), I don't think the engines can take any more Jim :biggrin

Maybe it's time to start looking for a proper hosting solution :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

1. Technologically, yes. Financially, no. My current provider won't issue me a static IP if my purpose is to operate a web server. I'd have to move to another ISP and probably buy a "small business package".

See my answer above.

I have a free service on the web that provides name to address resolution for my wiredwriter site.

It may come to that. The second site is for my congregation and I was hoping that they wouldn't have to incur additional costs besides the domain name.

I'll have to take a look at those links and get back to you, supa. The other cheap option I'm thinking of is to have the domain names for Site A and Site B resolve to the same public IP, put a "gateway" page as "index.html" with links to either site. It's kind of kloogy, but it's a quick workaround.

Thanks for all the input, guys. :)

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Ok...I've read supa's additional links and I think this is going to work. As far as not having a static public IP address, I already run one website in that situation. When I discover that the public IP has been changed (usually I find out because I stop getting spam and other emails), I manually change the name to address mappings and I'm good to go. Adding another site under the circumstances won't make much difference.

Yes, it would be ideal to host my sites someplace that has more bandwidth but it's a matter of finances. If I try to incur one more bill now, my wife will kill me. :eek:

Maybe I can soften her up as time goes by but right the moment, it's not an option.

I'll give it a go and let you know how it works out.

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

There are many dynamic IP services out there that will automatically change DNS entries for you when it notices your IP address changes, but I've never used any of them. Search for "Dynamic DNS".

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  12. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

just to add to Boycey, install the client aswell, as when your ip changes it will automatically update the system aswell.