Tricks or Surprises?

Discussion in 'A+' started by dr_fmj, Mar 25, 2010.

1. dr_fmj

dr_fmj Bit Poster

Hey folks, I'm brand new to this site so hello to all or should I say "Hello World!"
    I have taken many tests, exams, and quiz's in my life and the one thing that drives me nuts is the element of surprise or thinking hey I don't remember reading anything about that. I am usually prepared for trick questions however.

My question to you fine IT folks is what questions surprised you the most or what questions were you unprepared for on the CompTIA A+? I have done tech work as a hobby for the past 8 years and alot of what i'm reading is common knowledge to me. However I never seen the need to memorize processor cache sizes and the speeds of obsolete buses and ram etc. Another example is learning hexidecimal and binary and such......how much should i learn about it?

I understand the cliche "expect the unexpected" but maybe I'm being a little skeptical as I was warned ComTIA has a reputation of asking off the handle questions.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Cheers

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The thing that surprised me the most is the number of poorly worded and weak questions on the exam... almost as if the people who wrote the exam hadn't been in IT all that long.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. dr_fmj

dr_fmj Bit Poster

Not really what I meant Mike but thanks for the reply! I was kind of wondering what kind of surprise questions there were, if any.
    Cheers

4. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Err...they weren't any! One sentence questions and that was it...just wait until you take on an MCP, MTP or MABC or whatever they are called these days! CompTIA sh1te is a doddle when compared to Cisco and M$ stuff.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you know the concepts, nothing should be a surprise, should it? ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!