Transfering games to new extra drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by thunderbird, Aug 25, 2006.

1. thunderbird

thunderbird Bit Poster

I'm about to install a new larger HD in my daughters PC. As all her games have managed to fill the C drive. How can I copy them across so that they work , without having to re-install them?. I know they'll copy across fine, but will they work? or do I need to tell XP Pro where they've gone and where to look for the files?

Certifications: COMPTIA A+
    WIP: Network +
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Some games will work, and some games needs to be reinstalled. but make sure you make a copy game saves incase they get overidded...

I had the same problem, now i always install my games on a different drive.

3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I am a big fan of Acronis Image drive for exactly this type of situation.
    You will need a surplus drive to put the image of the old drive on. Use a third party utility to format and partition the new drive and then restore the image on to your new shiny, bigger drive.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

so will you have a dup copy of everything on your new drive?
    will you have to recreate your shortcuts on your desktop?

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

no, you won't have to create anything.

example;

I make a full back up of my machine (you can select a partition, some, or selected folders) to my Lacie external drive. The same day, the hard drive in my desktop goes pop.
    I buy another IDE drive, partion and format it using something like the Maxtor free utility and then boot to the Acronis image OS on CD. It will then find my USB drive and restore the image of my machine on the new hard drive. Within an hour, i am back to normal. :biggrin

Si

6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I'll have to look at the site closer looks interesting and price isn't too shabby either :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Personally, i think it is well worth the money.

Si

8. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Hi guys, I've just come out of a self-imposed break from CF for this post so I hope it's of some use.

Drive Image XML
    will do exactly the same thing and it's completely free. There is also a Bart PE plugin for it which makes it super useful in my opinion. 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Baba,

Excellent, thanks!

Si

10. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

thunderbird,

Why not use a program like Ghost to copy the old hard drive to the new larger hard drive? Then use the old hard drive as a slave to the new larger hard drive to hold data files?

Ghost would maintain the file relations of already installed software, while giving it the full freedom of the extra free space on the new larger hard drive. It'll solve both your problems of free space on C: while avoiding software reinstall.

I hope this helps.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  11. thunderbird

thunderbird Bit Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions. Off home know to get things sorted.
    Just got to pry her hands off it first.

12. thunderbird

thunderbird Bit Poster

OK, so discovered I had Norton Ghost in the Systemworks disc I had.
    So should be a doddle right? Wrong.
    New drive is installed and formatted, Windows reads it no problem.
    But if I try to clone I get an error message which says that it cannot defrag the virtual partition. Any clues on this please?

13. thunderbird

thunderbird Bit Poster

OK, so I used Ghost and it copied everything over to the new drive. I set the new drive as master and the old as slave. It boots fine from the new drive, but for some reason I couldn'tr get the games sound to work. So I deleted the games from the old drive and then they wouldn't play at all. So had to re-install on the new drive. (which was what I was trying to avoid) So before I wipe the old drive, is there something I'm missing?. Also the new drive is E; and the old drive still C: Surely setting the new one as master should make it C: or is that too obvious?
    Any suggestions would be greatly recd. Thanks T-Bird

14. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I suspect your problems arise from having two drives with the same image on it. I would have copied the image, shut down the PC and removed the old drive. It should be assigned the letter C: then. Not sure if that would fix the sound problems but I have seen some funny behaviour in situations like this. I tried it once and it seems Windows became convinced it had a mirrored RAID array installed and wouldn't boot without RAID drivers being installed.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  15. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

As Baba put it the problem is that when you booted up for the first time after cloning the disk it found 2 C drives. It then remapped the second HDD to be E drive ( D drive being the cd rom?). Then when you manage to boot from the second HDD everything that is running (games for example) are all looking for paths that do not exist any more.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  16. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Just curious here, is there a reason why ya cant just partition/format ya new drive and then transfer everything over (cant remember off hand but i think ghost allows this).

Mick

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house