Transcender Practice Exams difficulty level

Discussion in 'A+' started by Londino, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Londino

Londino Bit Poster

Hi everyone,

Been lurking in the forums for a few years now and it would take some serious time to list all the things i've learned from the posts, so thank you for that.

Now that the time is nigh i decided to go for my first cert; A+ that is. I completed the AIO book a few days ago and then downloaded the demo version of said company to try it out. Boy was it hard!

My question is: does it try to emulate the difficulty of the real exam or is it's just plain harder!? I came across some questions whose answers i swear could not found them on the meyers book. One question was about a certification that a pc had to pass in order for it to be used in a hazardous environment, such as an oil drill platform. Another one was about a formula that you use to calculate the right VA of a UPS you'd need. Nowhere in the UPS section is a formula mentioned!

Another issue with the tests is terminology/wording. In TWO questions concerning laser printers i failed both because of that! In the first the correct answer was 'detac corona'! How could i possibly know that if i'm only being taught about charge & transfer coronas? In the second question, which i also got wrong, they use the word 'conditioning' instead of 'charging'!!

Are the above example normal practices for the real thing?

I apologise if i sound confused. It's because i am! :x

Regards from Greece.

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  2. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

I did mine a while back and can't remember just how they compared. I remember fininshing the Meyers book though and then sitting, and failing, a few tests from Transcender. I just went through every single question and stuff I didn't know or was unable to answer properly, I learnt from the explanations.

I remember the actual test being slightly easier than the Transcender but that could have just been because I learnt alot from the Test Engine as well as the AIO book.

I'd suggest setting the options in Transcender to remove questions you have anwered correctly atleast two times and do a custom exam to sit 50 or so then work your way through them. You'll start to elimate the one's you do know and learn where you seem to be having issues. That's what I did only I set it to remove them if I answered them correctly once and always checked the answer immediately after making mine, particularly if it was a guess incase I guessed it wrong (and learnt nothing as a result).

Certifications: See sig.
    WIP: Everything!
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If the exams were the same on every level then that would be cheating. The Meyers book wouldn't have the question about the oil platform otherwise Mr Meyers would be violating the NDA.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

I don't think he's asking why that particular question wasn't in the book; more that the content and knowledge that would allow him to answer wasn't. Its been a while since I read the book but I do remember a couple questions being on the exam that weren't actually covered by Meyer's book.

5. Londino

Londino Bit Poster

Thank you Killian. That's exactly what i was thinking!

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

This is a problem you will face in the real world to, where people use different words and even pronounce them entirely differently. In the UK, the word *detac, is rarely used to describe the discharge corona. Though to confuse things even more, the discharge corona is often called the cleaning corona.

Also, drum conditioning, is a process of charging but it is not to be confused with the normal charge process. It is a process, where a *new drum* or OPC is charged to condition it for normal use.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Remember that there are also questions in the exams which are not scored because they are beta question which may or may not end up being scored in later versions of the exam or be included in new exam pools.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

In my experience with Transcender, uCertify, PrepLogic, MeasureUp, etc. I have always found that I learned stuff in the practice exams. That is one reason why I like to use more that one (and more than one reference book too). This is also another reason why it is important to stay with good tests that have good explanations because you learn as much or more from why some answers are not correct as you reinforce from the correct answers! I also have generally felt that these commercial tests are as hard or harder than the actual exam. Finally, on many occasions there seems to be questions in the practice exams that are not covered in my primary reference material so again I learn something new! When taking a practice exam, study ALL the answers and explanations. Open up Wikipedia and look up stuff you don't understand, etc. In essence, these tests are supposed to prove your competence and so you should expect them to be tough! :ohmy

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  9. Londino

Londino Bit Poster

@Bluerinse: It's all fair & square if that's how it works in the real world. But if Comptia wants you to be tested on such things shouldn't the No1 author recommenced by fellow forum members include them as well in his material which you'll buy in order to prepare for the exams???

@Chuckles: Of course there's nothing wrong with learning new stuff. Gandi once said 'Learn as if you're gonna live forever'! But there's not much point paying for a practice test if it's gonna have questions in it that are not even close to the ones you'll face in a real exam, is there? Then i guess, there's the money-back guarantee so they HAVE to make them tough!

My take is that if you score 80% or more in these exams you are ready to tackle the real thing. At least when it comes to Transcenders & A+! Either that or the Meyers book that i used to study needs to be revised...

Thank you all for your input. It has been helpful and much appreciated.

10. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Maybe I don't take enough risks but after I consider the expense of practice tests and references the last thing I want to do is NOT pass! So, I shot for consistently scoring in the 90's on multiple tests. It works for me. BTW, good luck on your studies! :D

11. Londino

Londino Bit Poster

True that! A+ is sure one hell of an expensive certification to take so failing it is also not on my itinerary! I just can't afford not to pass! Which is why i didn't pull the trigger on the 2006 Objectives. I started the AIO book beginning of August (that's when i found out about the cut-off date) and was reading on average 90 pages per day - the joys of being unemployed! :D It took me 3 weeks to read it from cover to cover. By then i had 2-3 days left until August was over which is when i started downloading demo versions of practice exams from different vendors. I was let down by my performance on those and seeing as i had no time to revise & strengthen my weaknesses i decided to let go of the idea.

I now have no other option than to go for the new Objectives. God, i hate Vista...

P.S. Thanks for your wishes.

12. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Actually I had a similar experience (but in the states). I got my first material in summer '09. I also got "retired" a few month prior and so had more time than most..... Anyway I started studying, making notes, preparing a couple thousand questions,.... and life interfered (Father in an accident, hospital, recovery, etc.) and preparations slacked. Then sometime in Jan. I became aware of the end of Feb deadline. Boy did that kick me in gear since all my studying was base on the 600's). I did pass the two the last 10 days of Feb :biggrin but I left just enough time for a retake if needed. So, I understand this last minute stuff and you probably did the right thing! Just prepare well for your A+ now that you have more flexibility in your time!

13. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

Don't worry about it! A+ is Vendor Neutral so OS interaction is minimal. I did the 2009 objectives in fact and really don't remember reading much at all to do with it.

It's more about improvements in technology rather than software. You'll find that ALOT of the material you learnt for the 601 & 602 objectives are still very relevant.

Maybe pick up the Passport book or something similiar that'll act as a refresher. You certainly don't want to be going through another Meyers AIO Bible nor is it necessary.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  14. Londino

Londino Bit Poster

I might as well do that. Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a go.

15. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

As I mentioned in an earlier post I took the bridge instead of the two part 2009. I did spend 2 months reviewing and preparing. After I took it I remember walking out and thinking that I knew enough when I took the 2006 (two months prior) that I could have passed the 2009 on just that! At first I thought what a waste of time. :bigcry But learning is never a waste of time. I also remember seeing maybe 3 questions that had anything to do with VISTA. And I was worried about all the Vista I might see! If you are solid on 2006, you should pick up the new stuff fairly quickly.

16. Londino

Londino Bit Poster

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll need it!