Transcender Mocks....

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Luddym, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey Chaps,

I've been using the Transcender Mocks to gauge my progress over the last 5 days or so. Took 1 five days ago, got 38%, a few days ago 40% and one today at 47%.

Now I know my results are pretty poor, and by looks of it I dont really stand too much of a chance. I have just over a whole day of study left, and will probably be up until the small hours tonight (After the Argentina Game, of course.) So, I'm hoping to get another 10% on top of that by re-reading my notes, working out where I went wrong on the Transcender questions and basically polishing up, before tommorow which is the day on my lab.

Uhm, sorry for raving on, but my question is to anyone who has used the Transcender for the 290 (or other exams at worst.) I know they are meant to be a bit harder than the actual exams, so wondered if anyone else was sort of in my situation before taking an exam.... and possible outcomes. Like, do I stand a chance. :D

Thanks in advance chaps and chappesses.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Well, I'd say you stand a very good chance, of wasting your money on a test you're not prepared for.

I haven't used Transcender for any of the 2003 tests, but did use them for all of my MCSE 2000 tests, and I would have never chanced taking a test with the kinds of scores you are getting. I also would say that you need a lot more time spent working with the product rather than essentially book cramming for the exam if your scores are where they are, and you can't do that type of learning in 24 hours. Postpone your test. Reschedule it. Don't waste your money.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Not looking too good to be honest mate.

You never know though... 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey Freddy,

Thanks for replying man.

I have to say that as time was going on, I was finding myself not being able to study. Everytime I picked up the books, or started fiddling with my Lab, I just found it really difficult to concentrate. My plan was to book the exam to help give me the kick to study.

Thankfully, I just managed to squeeze the Exam in before Microsofts 2nd shot offer is up, so basically, this is a free shot at it. If I pass, then all well and good, if not, Ive got another 4 weeks of study and some experience of the exam under my belt. (Which should hopefully be enough.) The other option would have been to postpone booking my exam, see time drift away from me again, and only have one shot at it when I did manage to book it.

Thanks for the reply Freddy, I have to admit, I do agree with you totally... suppose I should just look at it as experience, and try and remember some of the questions and hope i get them next time. :thumbleft

5. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

To quote a great character............ looks like 'I'm boned.' :)

6. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Luddy, DONT get "boned", reschedule and keep "boneing" away until your good and ready to finish it off!

7. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

That sounds like a good plan CheekMaster. :D

8. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Ludd, its never good to do some boneing and think thats all that is required, and when the big day finally arrives, you will feel like a tw@t when you realise you cant handle the pressure and all because you should of boned more longer and more harder...

Keep up the good work, we have faith in you... :thumbleft

9. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I know exactly what you mean cheek.

The truth of the matter is..... Ive been studying for this exam on and off for about 3 months. Read the MSPress, did the CBT's, then gave it a rest. Went back and did the CBT's again, gave it another rest. And here I am. :D

I'm the type of person that gets all excited when I start learning a course, then slowly the interest wains, until I pick up interest again.

The annoying thing is, with the Transcenders, when i go back and read the answers, im like 'yes, i know that, how did I get it wrong? :blink ' 9 times out of ten, give me a lab and say 'do that' and I'll do it without a problem, ask me to tell you how to do it......

10. ffreeloader

I'm not one to beat around the bush, as you probably know if you've read my posts. So, from what I see above I can speculate, and probably fairly accurately, that you don't do anywhere nearly enough hands on work.

Much of the time I spent studying was taking the concepts in the exam books I used, Sybex, and then setting up my servers to use those concepts and ideas in as real-life situation as possible. For instance, when I was studying AD I would set up a company network using different domains, set up OU's, gpo's, security groups, acls, ntfs persmissions, every concept I could think of, and then create a whole bunch of users to populate the domains so I could see if everything I had set up worked the way I imagined it should work. If not I would go study the concepts to see what I was missing. Then go back and change my design and settings until things worked the way I had envisioned them working or understood why they wouldn't work that way.

I could never have passed any of the tests if I had studied the way you are, just reading books, doing cbt's and practice tests. So, I studied for every exam that way. No matter what the subject was I would book study until I thought I had it, then begin setting up all the things I was studying in my labs the way I understood them. If everything I set up worked the way I understood it, then I knew I was OK in my understanding. If not I experimented with the settings and studied the concepts until I knew that I understood how it worked because I could set things up so that they worked and accomplished what I wanted to accomplish.

11. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Good luck dude, your going to need it.

I agree with you on the free retake policy, you may as well chance it now and get the free resit if needed.

I was using the servercert 2003 trancsender as part of my study plan for 290. I was getting scores of 800+ regularly.
    About 4 days before my exam date I recieved the new trancsender disk and thought great I can use this.
    First test I done I got 48% and thought WTF!
    The questions are definately very difficult on that particular disk, I never got above 70% and then ran out of time. I had already accepted my fate for the real exam.
    I failed with a score of 673, pass was 700! and I am pretty sure it was the clunky sims that screwed it for me, I had loads of em.
    Good luck dude....but go for it

12. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

To be honest Freddy, you are probably right. I could easily do with spending more time on my Lab. I tend to try to learn a subject by the book and CBT, then set up a single, fairly simple experiment on the lab, the move on.

The one thing I appreciate about you Freddy is the way in which you will happily stand up and say things how you see them. As far as I have seen, you are mostly right (I've never seen you wrong yet, but hey, it might happen one day. :D ) So if you were to stand up and call me a muppet, I know I'd respect that judgement.

Thanks again for your reply, I think the next month will be full of Lab fiddling. :-)

13. ffreeloader

Thanks. Glad to know there is one thing you appreciate about me.... :twisted: