Transcender exams

Discussion in 'A+' started by greenbrucelee, Jun 19, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Are the practice tests run by Transcender worth buying? (can you buy them for the uk?)

The a+ practice tests etc seem very pricey to me, I havent got that much spare money at the moment so I dont want to waste what little money I have on something that isnt worth it.

Can anyone tell me if the transcender practice exams are any good?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I used them and thought they were spot on. Ive used them for A+ and MCDST, and il continue to use them for the rest of my exams.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  3. greenbrucelee

they do seem a bit pricey for some practice tests

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

IMO transcender exams are one of the best testing software that you can get, but that does not mean that they are the only testing software that you should/can use.

MeasureUp is pretty good, and then there's Preplogic (they are currently offering their practice exams for $49 - £25 approx), I'm currently using them for the Security+ instead of Transcender.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. greenbrucelee

cheers Ken I will look into preplogic, btw just read the article on the Academia issue. While I agree that learning at Uni only teaches you the subject you want instead of mixing it, what it doesnt do is properly prepare you for the working world, and the struggle some people may face in finding their first proper job.

6. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

True, i get mine from advent tho as part of the course materials :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  7. Kitkatninja

I agree with that, but what I was doing was comparing the US degree program with the UK degree program. My understanding of the US system is that, say if you did a degree in IT or Computing - you'd also have to study, for example, further math or history or English Lit, etc. While in the UK if you do a degree in IT or computing, you'd only study subjects related to IT (hence the subjects you actually want) and why I also said this:

I guess one way Uni's get away with it is the "Gap" year, when students go on placements, but I believe this is optional for the full-time students? And besides that's one of the differences between academic quals and professional certs :)

That's not bad, the cost of the Transcender material is absorbed into the cost of the course so you really don't miss it :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

So would any of you recommend the preplogic exam practice software?

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. Kitkatninja

From what I've seen of it so far and the light price tag (currently on offer), my answer is yes :) (at least for Comptia exams)

-ken