Tranfering Broadband

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by philbenson, Nov 5, 2005.

1. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

I have had a broadband account with Wanadoo for nearly two years. I now want to transfer to another provider which offers the same level of service as I get from Wanadoo, but at lower cost and with a free fixed IP address.

Do I need to contact Wandoo as my current ISP and cancel that account first (i.e.before contacting the ISP I wish to move to), or can my new ISP handle the transfer for me?

I cannot find any help on the Wanadoo site about how to cancel accounts, and before I spend half an hour on the phone to Wandoo at the national rate trying to speak to someone in deepest Delhi, I wondered if anyone on here could offer any advice.

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  2. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

not a definite answer mate but i would've thought it'd work exactly the same as any other utility, i'd contact the new one and tell them you want to change and they should do the legwork for ya! hth! :tongue

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  3. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

That's exactly the answer I was hoping to get. Many thanks!

I'm sure the ISP I planning to move to will be more than happy to do whatever is necessary to get my custom. I would if I was them.

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'd think though that you would still need to contact your existing ISP to cancel your account with them, otherwise they will keep billing you!

If it were me I'd cancel my existing account, then sign up for the new one.

8)

5. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

i've done it a few times with gas and electrickery and they usually contact me to say sorry to lose you, would you not like to reconsider with this great offer? etc....

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Yes, cancel or get a date of disconnection from Wanadoo and then plan your new ISP. Any ideas who you want to go with?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

You need to get something called a 'mac code' (Migration Authorization Code) from Wanadoo first. You then give this code to the new provider.

Swapping ADSL providers is a bit of a nightmare.

Look at www.adslguide.org.uk for more info on this

Harry

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Harry basically says it all - you get your MAC key from the losing ISP, who will be totally arsey about it for ages, then give it to your gaining ISP who will then migrate your ADSL hopefully seamlessly.

As mentioned above, it can be a nightmare, but once you have the MAC, you're past the worst. Hope that helps :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Isn't everything these days seemingly more complicated than it needs to be. Having said that, after a twenty minute wait to speak to someone about cancelling my credit card, when I did get connected they sorted that straight away without any questioning about why.

I take the points onboard about contacting Wanadoo. I want to transfer to Demon because they are cheaper for the same level of service that I get now, plus I can have a fixed IP address which Wanadoo can't offer. I want to set up a VPN to my home network so I can access my server while away from home.

So its a case of getting onto Wanadoo and getting a MAC from them.

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

In fairness, although migration may occasionally be problematic, when you consider the alternative option of cancellation altogether, then signing up again with the new ISP (poss with a new activation fee) with the standard 7-14 provisioning period, it is a heck of a lot less painful.

11. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

I recently migrated my broadband service from AO-HELL to Freedom2Surf...AOL were really pissy about giving up my MAC code to me....it was like getting blood from a stone for about 5 minutes but finally got hold of it....migration seems to be going well so far, fingers crossed 8)

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE
  12. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Well I now have my MAC code from Wanadoo, so anyone out there care to recommend a broadband ISP to me?!?!

Whichever one I go for must offer a fixed IP address.

13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

NOT tiscali !!! :dry

14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Plusnet :biggrin

I thought most ISP's are giving statics out these days?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  15. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Not NTL if you want static IP

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  16. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Oh well, at least I now know a couple not to go for then!

The two I have been looking at so far are Demon and Plusnet. Plusnet can offer me everything I want incl fixed IP for £21.99 a month which is £3 cheaper than the Demon package. Their minimum contract is also just 1 month rather than a year. So unless I see anyone who can beat that I'm inclined to go with Plusnet

My MAC is valid for 30 days which should be plenty of time to make the decision.

17. corbpm

corbpm Bit Poster

I'm with demon got Static IP, happy with the service to date been with Demon for the last 5 years at least, on modem and dialup then broadband, tried freeserve as was for a while but went back to demon (back in dialup days)

Certifications: 70-290
    WIP: 70-270 then onwards to MCSE
  18. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Just been looking at the Demon website. Their Homeoffice package offers a contention ratio of 50:1 compared to 30:1 for Plusnet. I believe the lower the better cos it means less people to potentially share bandwidth. How important a factor that is in practical terms I don't know.

19. corbpm

corbpm Bit Poster

It certainly matters but its all in the luck of the draw as well, if plusnet offers a better contention ratio and the speed and the price check out the ADSLGuide.org (i think its that) for comments and go for it.

At work we have a SDSL line with 5:1 contention unfortunatly i sometimes think we share it with google as its so slow and thats when the users go home.

Certifications: 70-290
    WIP: 70-270 then onwards to MCSE
  20. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

That's because they've all started their P2P for the night.

Seriously though, if you can get a static IP address thrown in for the same price then you guys have it made. In Switzerland I'd have to pay an extra 20 to get one.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685