Trainsignal Vs cbtnuggets

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by roblondon, Sep 6, 2011.

1. roblondon

roblondon New Member

Hi everyone. I'm looking at doing the 2010 Exchange MCTS course, are the videos from trainsignal.com ok?? Would I need to supliment with a book or anything?

Thanks

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

They are both great providers so either would be a good choice. Ideally you would also want to read a training manual as well as get hands on experience with the product.

You should use the Trainsignal \ CBTNuggets products as supplementary training rather than the only source of training.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I agree with Simon - I've used different videos (but no specifically for your course) and they supplement as they don't go in enough depth for the exam.

Whilst they and others are good providers, it may be worth keeping an open mind and doing individual research on other peoples' opinions online as it can depend on the trainer whether its enjoyable/worth watching or not.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  4. roblondon

roblondon New Member

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to go for Trainsignal. Are the standard MS books OK, or should I go with Unleashed or something like that?

5. TheMagician

TheMagician Nibble Poster

I like the MS Press books(although the errata lists are often quite large..)

The key thing is to make use of as many different resources as you can.

Certifications: MCSA 2012, MCITP: EA, SA, ITIL
  6. allen00864

allen00864 New Member

I used some of the CBT Nuggets for Cisco by Jeremy Cioara and they were good - but some of the others are horrible. I paid for the CCNA Wireless taught by Michael Shannon it was terrible; he does not make any sense, it was a waste of money.....

7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Agreed the quality varies a bit depending on the trainer doing the presenting. CBTNuggets is generally good but little expensive, you can trail their courses online to see if you like them.

There are a lot of providers in the space including, TotalTraining, VTC, PluralSight, TrainSignal, CBTNuggets, Lynda, TekPub, AppDev, LearnKey, etc.

So shop around and try see an evaluation video first.

8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I didn't even realise they were still around, they used to be ok but they aren't in the same league as TS.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  9. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

Id go with watching TrainSignal videos, then reading the MS press book cover to cover while doing all the labs. Followed with watching the whole trainsignal set again.

I did the whole in 4 weeks and passed the exam :)

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Agreed. Get as much as you can afford, not forgetting there is a lot of free resources available, namely:
    Certforums
    Technet
    Amazon marketplace is sometimes a godo place for saving money on good books.
    Goooooooooooooogle!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT