trainingcamp.com

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by toolman, Feb 12, 2007.

1. toolman

toolman New Member

This is a company who offers several different certifications in the IT world and i am considering enrolling in one of their training sessions to obtain certification. Does any one have any opinion this company? For example, competancy of instructors, accomodations, atmosphere.

Thanx.
    Toolman

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I have never heard of them, probably because they are based in the US.

What I will say is that this is a fast track boot camp. For example, see below for their MCSE Security pre-requisites. And note that if you don't have the required existing knowledge you will be in over your head.

[mod note OP post approved by me]

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Looks like a VERY intense course. If you are a newbie to IT then probably best to look elsewhere unless you are a genius. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...and if you're not a newbie to IT (or you ARE a genius), then what do you need a course for? If that's the case, save the money and pursue self-study.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. toolman

toolman New Member

Thanx for your replies folks.

Yes, the company is based in the U.S. and I do realize its an intensive study. I have tried self-study but I have one irritating problem - distraction. I want to obtain certification for career progression but each time I have committed myself I get distracted such that I cannot focus. I'm hoping that a boot camp (thousands of miles from distractions) will give me that focus.

I'm looking for someone that has attended a course(s) offerred by this company and can give me an honest, unbias opinion.

toolman.

6. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

I went there once, just see what it was all about. It's out in the sticks somewhere in Oxfordshire. You drive into this massive estate surrounded by dense forest. The building itself is buried deep inside the estate, some sort of converted hotel. They took me on a tour. For your money you get your own room, unlimited grub, coffee, sodas, free text books, 14 hour study days. Very courteous staff.

I remember there were lots of CCNA students around. They offered a 5-day course at the end of which you took the exam on site.

The equipment they had in the classrooms didn't exactly blow my mind however. I can't remember exactly what they showed me, but I think there was a 2500 router, a 1700 router and a 2950 switch. I remember thinking, heck, I've got better gear at home, so why bother ?

On the plus side, unless you're given to long rambling walks through the woodlands, there's absolutely sod all to do except study. But just 5 days to become CCNA certified ? Sorry, couldn't buy that.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  7. Gaiden

Gaiden Bit Poster

I did a training course with the Training Camp, and I'm going to have to really recommend them. You do have to know the core information regarding the topic you are trying to get certified in, but other than that, they'll teach you all you need to know.
    Make sure you are well rested before you go though, as i did an MCSE course which was a 2 week course and i, along with everyone else in my course was burnt out after the first week. I left there with my MCSA.

Certifications: MCSA, Security+
  8. Gaiden

Gaiden Bit Poster

I've done a course with the Training Camp and i must say it was a really great course.
    I did a 2 week MCSE bootcamp, but truthfully, like everyone else who was in the course with me, we were all burnt out after the first week. I left there with my MCSA, but that's in part because i knew most of the things they were teaching me, but not directly towards the way MS would like you to answer there questions.
    If you dont' have any background in IT, or if you aren't prepared to eat sleep and $h!t the amount of course work and reading material you are given then you won't ever pass the exams. They do teach you alot of useful, real world, information and i'd recommend them.

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes boots camps have their place but that place is for seasoned IT pros that need to get certs to back up their experience. They are not a starting place for people wanting to get into IT.

That is the distinction.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. toolman

toolman New Member

I've committed myself to attending the trainingcamp's training in Chicago this upcoming summer; I just have to convince my employer that its a good idea and to pay for it. I'm getting the impression from talking to them about it that they're afraid if they put out the money that I'll leave for better pay. That may be and its part of the cost of doing business; its a risk in doing business.

toolman.

11. Gaiden

Gaiden Bit Poster

The best of luck with it Toolman. I got my company to pay for my training, and because if it i've been faithful to them because i know, that they will always try to pay for any training which i deem helpful to my job title. Now if things would just turn around for my company and secure my job then i'll be set.

12. Donmac

Donmac Bit Poster

I also went on the 2 week MCSE Bootcamp and its true what people have been saying... on average we did a 19hr day, 11hrs with the instructor 8hrs self study. I have to say that Trainingcamp is great, if you give 110% you will walk away with the cert you require. I only gave 105% and failed the 70-291 exam but passed a month after leaving.

The way I got the boss to pay was by signing my life away to the company... if I leave I have to pay a % of the course costs ie if I leave before a year is up I pay the full cost but if I leave after 2 year I pay nothing.

Hope this helps
    Donmac

Certifications: a few
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Ex2k7, Win2k8