Training

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by slimjim, Feb 6, 2008.

1. slimjim

slimjim New Member

First post so be gentle with me. I am looking for a training provider with proven track record! thought this would be best place for impartial, sound, honest advice.

Looking to obtain MCSE / CCNA ultimately, will be starting from scratch so will be begining my quest with the A+ & N+. There seems to be a multitude of training providers out there, doe's anyone have any advise on my search for the right training. I don't want to teach myself as I feel this this would not benefit me as I am starting from the begining.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: CCNA
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I would suggest you shop around your area, and take a look at whats available first. You can check on here to see whats been said about them.

You might want to remember, though, that bad press is more widely publicised. A happy customer tends to tell around 10 people, whereas an unhappy customer tells about 100 (cant remember where i got the numbers from, so it might be inaccurate, but the point still stands). So you are more likely to discover bad experiences than good.

Blowing my own trumpet slightly, but check This out for some hints on picking a TP.

The fact that you have considered self study, and come up with valid reasons why you dont want to pursue it initially is a good thing. Many people dont consider the alternatives to a TP first, and ultimately regret not doing so. That you have done it first, puts you in good stead (even if you chose contrary to the mass opinion here :biggrin ).

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Edit: If you dont want to teach yourself, I suggest find classroom taught courses, rather than distance learning courses.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. slimjim

slimjim New Member

Hi Fergal1982,

Thank you for your prompt and balanced reply. Your pro's & con's tips were very good! A lot of it is to do with common sense however when being bombarded with facts and figures, promises and guarantees etc it can be extremely daunting.

I certainly will not be rushing in to any decisions as you pointed out, there are numerous things to be taken in to consideration before settling upon the right training.

4. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

I've mentioned it before, but i went through a local College and did evening classes over 2 years.
    Found that the support was very good & it cost a lot lower than a training provider out to get £££ off you.
    I did Cisco IT Essentials 1 which with some extra study led to CompTIA A + and cost me intotal under £300.
    It may be a case of having a look at what local Colleges offer, a few local universities also offer training in A+ & N+.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

I am doing self study for the A+ I bought two books and an old computer for £80 I will then pay for the two exams if I purchase an international voucher for both exams the total cost of my A+ (providing I pass the exams) will £294 including vat.

Edit: if you are starting from the beggining compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 6th edition by Mike Meyers and PC Technician Street Smarts by James pyles will teach you all you need to know and don't persue the MCSA/E until you have the relevant experience in a networking role.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CF! 8)

8. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  9. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF!:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  10. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum... :)

11. Becki

Becki Byte Poster

Welcome Jim,

Can i first ask how old are you and where abouts in the Midlands are you based?

Don't think of me as strange please, as the training provider i am with is looking to expand into training for Work-Based learners of the age of 20-25!

Becki x

Certifications: NVQ IC3 A+ Network+ MCDST MCITP MCTS Vista & 7
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Why, whats wrong with 26, 27, 40, 50?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. Becki

Becki Byte Poster

Not my rules i'm afraid its courses for work-based learners, who can have the opportunity to complete certs like A+ and N+, although it hasn't officialy started yet!

Certifications: NVQ IC3 A+ Network+ MCDST MCITP MCTS Vista & 7
  14. slimjim

slimjim New Member

Hi Becki,

Why is age a pre requisite?

How is the training delivered?
    What are the costs etc

15. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I'm guessing its probably to qualify for some government scheme so they can be government funded.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educati...arning/TrainingAndWorkplaceLearning/DG_070911
    http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/Customers/New_Deal/

Ironically despite age discrimination laws the schemes are litered with age bands...

Thats the conundrum, you can have no discrimination and positive discrimination at the same time...

...and everyone feels that the discrimination should happen in their favour...

I suppose one argument is get the training while your young because it might not otherwise be available, and that that approach probably benefits society the most...

16. slimjim

slimjim New Member

Hello all,

Since my original post I have seen a few training providers, Computeach, Advent, Computer Training College, National IT Learning Centre. Does anyone have any pointers for me on any of these outfits?

They all deliver the course that I want, but I tend not to buy solely on price as this is sometimes not the right thing to do.

Any advice will be greatfully received.

17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I assume that self-study is not an option for you, right? :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. greenbrucelee

I doubt any are better than the other, all a rip off and provide inadequate material imo. Whats wrong with getting the study materiall yourself & setting up your own lab and practicin & studying untill you are ready?

The above is what you pay a training provider for, but you can do it your self for cheaper.

19. slimjim

slimjim New Member

how do you know the materials are no good? which one of these providers did you enrol with. How long have you been self studying with the A+, as I don't want to be training for years on end before getting a decent job.

20. greenbrucelee

I have nevr enroled with one as I heard too many negatives about them such as outdated material, the use of braindumps (material that tells you the questions and answers on the exams, which can get you decertified for life if caught using). As for how long I have been studying the A+ its been a while but thats only because of my financial situation, if I had the spare cash I would have taken the A+ exams about two months after starting and thats only because I had a decent amount of knowledge already.

I am finally getting on my feet financially so hope to take the exams in a month or two at the latest.

Be aware that just because you get a qualification or certification it does not get you a job it just makes you look more attractive to an employer

Edit: Training providers also offer people courses they shouldn't be doing. Such as the MCSA/E or CCNA those certs are supposed to be taken when you have been working in IT for a while thats why they are professional certs. Plus a training provider might say we will get you job afterwards then they'll say you don't live in our geograhical area so we don't have to get you a job but we will take your money.