Training with National IT learning institute

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by naveed-akram, Jan 5, 2012.

1. naveed-akram

naveed-akram New Member

hi mate, sorry i am new to forums and dont know how to start a new thread, I will ask my question here and sorry for any inconvinence, i am thinking to do DBA(database administrator) course with National IT learning institute and the tution fees is about 3000 pounds.. I am a bit concerned as how good will they be in guiding me through this course. I know i dont expect much support from them as bulk is self study but still guidance is essential...
    thanks for any help

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Big ORANGE tab at the top of the forum topics page allows you to create new threads.

As you're already aware that a lot of it is self study why on earth would you bother wasting £3000 on doing a course with them? I would also ask what your experience with DB's are (whether Oracle, SQL or MySQL)?

Personally speaking I would probably go down the self study route for this rather than waste £3000 and being honest here I am a big supporter of doing classroom based training as I learn more by studying that way instead of self study.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

New Thread created and moved :)

While everyone has different learning styles, imo, for that amount of money (based on my own learning style) I'd rather spend it on (another) degree or post-grad studies.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. TheMagician

TheMagician Nibble Poster

What is the aim of the course? Do you take an exam at the end? Do you even end up with an industry recognized accredited qualification upon passing? It sounds like an outrageous amount for a course where they may just phone it in and just send you a few textbooks you could have got from Amazon for 50 times less.

Personally I wouldn't even spend £3000 of my hard earned on a training course where I had 1:1 tuition with the leading expert in that field while being served unlimited Daiquiris and the Sofia Vergara lookalike instructor noshed me off every time I got a question right.

Certifications: MCSA 2012, MCITP: EA, SA, ITIL
    jamesclimax and Boffy like this.
  5. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

That might just get me to stop self-study 8)

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Sounds like standard training provider claptrap.

They're probably still offering the MCDBA... :rolleyes:

You don't really give us any idea about your motivation or reasons for wanting to certify, what sort of experience you have or anything else.
    So it's really quite difficult to answer your question.

For that sort of money you could pay to be in a classroom with an experienced instructor taking you through the paces.
    Don't pay it for someone who will 'guide you through the course' merely by resonding to your emails or answering a phone.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD