training video info

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by jec69, Nov 30, 2010.

1. jec69

jec69 Bit Poster

Hello

Does anybody know where I could find CBT nuggets video used ? I can't afford the new videos right now. I tried looking on Ebay, but all I found was Microsoft 2003 Server 70-290 exam training (CBT+QA+SIM). I did'nt see anywhere what company it was that made the product.

thanks

Certifications: A+ Network+
    WIP: MCSE
  2. sweetdisorder

sweetdisorder Bit Poster

Are you allowed to on sell them? I think they are only licenced to one user, ie the one who purchased them.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: 70-620 70-290
  3. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

You could look into doing a subscription. You could do a month and just make the most of it. That would be substantially cheaper than buying the DVD in many cases.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If you do find any on ebay or whatever then most likley they will be braindumps or copied material either is illegal so if you value your certs save up some cash and buy the real thing.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Well, CBT Nuggets are made by (funnily enough) CBT Nuggets.

Unfortunately training videos and exam simulators, unlike books, can't be sold on. When you buy them you are purchasing an exclusive use license for you only.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I'm not too sure they can hold you to that legally.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Sure they can, you are buying a licence to use the product, not the product. Exactly the same way it works with most other software licensing. Why would this training software be any different?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. michael78

I've had a read up on it looks like you can't sell it on which I find a joke.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
    Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Speaking as someone who has worked on the legal side of this for Transcender, they absolutely CAN hold you to that legally.

As I have always stated, you have the power to speak with your wallet: if you don't like the terms, don't buy the product. But I am almost 100% certain that all of the legit providers have the same terms.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. BosonMichael

So let's say that you buy CBT Nuggets for Server 2003. Then you pass it on - sell it, give it away, doesn't matter - to someone else on this forum. Then they pass it on to their friends, and to their friends. Eventually, very few people would buy the product, and CBT Nuggets would have to do one of three things:
    1) Raise their prices, forcing the few legit customers to foot the bill for everyone else,
    2) Cut their costs, typically by cutting quality (less-qualified authors and a faster push to market, leading to shorter videos, more mistakes, and poor presentation), or
    3) Go out of business. Eventually, 1 and/or 2 will also lead to 3.

Who would you use then?

Support the companies who provide good training. Otherwise, those companies won't be around to provide you good training in the future.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  11. michael78

Sorry but I don't agree with that. If you buy a product you should be able to sell it on after your finished with it. You pay for it you should own it. Companies should and could make money by releasing new products, major revisions and updates etc.

12. BosonMichael

But, as has been stated before, you don't own the product because you are not buying the product. You are buying a license to use the product. It's no different than a movie ticket; you own neither the movie, the theatre, nor the seat you sit in... you are paying only to watch the movie. Nor is it different from paying for a training course; you own neither the training center, the instructor, nor the equipment you use... you are paying for the privilege to learn from the instructor at that center.

I can promise you, none of us are raking in money by the truckloads, even with licensing terms as they are. Allowing unlimited license transfers would be slitting our own throats. It's absurd to think that we'd make even MORE money by allowing it to happen.

Again, if you don't agree with the terms, don't buy the products. But don't expect to use them either.

13. michael78

I agree if it's online then fine but if you have the physical media then you should have the right to sell/give it away. Why should it be different for training media to 2nd hand games, CD's, DVD's. When I go to the cinema I know I don't own the rights and am paying to watch the film but if I then buy the DVD then I can sell it if I want so again why should it be any different.

14. greenbrucelee

The company is selling a product which is supposed to help you pass and exam. It is not selling you an entertainment product. The product takes a lot of time and effort and find high quality practice exam writers isn't cheap so they company must charge accordingly for EVERYONE who uses their product not just someone who has got it second hand from someone.

See this is reason things like this become expensive, the same goes for DVDs and games, The price goes up because people sell them cheap after use or copy them which as a result puts the price up.

The product they are selling you can be changed by updates etc which you have not paid for but your license means you can use them when you license runs out then you get no more updates.

If you have sky tv you do not own your settop box and satelite, sky do why do you think they want your telephone line connected all the time. So they can update it and see what your watching etc.

You said about selling dvds on, I think if you actually read the small print you will find that you are not allowed to re distribute now that could mean piracy but I also think it means you cannot legally re-sell the dvd without permission of the company who produced it.

15. BosonMichael

Each publisher can grant whatever copyrights they choose. Whether they choose to allow resale of a product depends largely on the market and the medium. And PC games, books, music CDs, and movie DVDs are entirely different markets from certification training (an extremely small niche market).

PC games are increasingly moving to a licensing model. Book, CD and DVD publishers typically do not restrict resale, and those that do typically do not enforce their copyright restrictions. However, if they chose to enforce those copyright restrictions, they could legally do so. And you, as a consumer, can let those publishers know that you disagree with their decisions by not buying their products.

You say that when you go to the cinema, you know you don't own the rights. Well, you have that same capability to know whether you own the rights by viewing your licensing agreement. This isn't something that's cryptically hidden... at least, not where software is concerned. Your rights begin and end with whatever the owner of the intellectual property says you can do with the product, and it's typically spelled out for you in black and white.

16. michael78

With all due respect so what if it's produced to help pass an exam what has that got to do with it. People sell on their text books.

As far 2nd hand market pushing up the price of games the price of games hasn't actually increased as N64 games were a lot more and SNES games were expensive as well.
    As for people trading games then publishers are finding ways to increase their revenues in DLC and addon's etc. All I'm saying is why should it be any different for practice exam/video's are they a special case? As for DVD's I haven't seen HMV and Amazon in court for selling second hand DVD's.

17. greenbrucelee

Because that is the rules set out by the company when you purchase their product. If you dont like it then tough **** you dont have to buy their material infact you dont have to buy any practice exam material but that is how they work and thats that.

18. greenbrucelee

Why technically is it okay to record something of say BBC1 like a film by rights and the terms of tv publishing are you supposed to wipe that film after a number of days? Because that is the terms of watching the bbc.

why is it that you can buy a dvd from a shop and go on a coach trip but legally you are not allowed to show it to everyone on the coaches big tv without permission from the movie company or publishers? Because that is the terms set out in the credits at the end of the bbc by the publisher or film company.

why is it that legally your not allowed to record something of radio 1 without paying? because that is the terms of radio 1

why is it that you can get a warranty on a car but if you modify the car the warranty is null and void? because that is the terms of the warranty.

All companies have rules and regulations if you dont like them then do use anything by that company.

19. michael78

Not arguing the toss mate on that but seriously how many people follow most of those rules. I'm not arguing they aren't the rules all I'm saying is I'll do what I want with software/music/games that I buy as long as my conscience is clear (i.e. not copy them and sell them on).

20. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Whether your conscious is clear or not doesn't matter if what you are doing is illegal (and selling a software product for which you do not have a license to do so is illegal). Just because you do not agree with the law doesn't mean that it's ok to violate the law.