training questions

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by piprumsey, Dec 14, 2006.

1. piprumsey

piprumsey New Member

hi guys am looking to move into a IT career, hopefully something like computer maintenance and was wondering what you guys think i should do.

i have no real computer experience, just the usual home stuff. i have never even made or fixed a computer but i like the idea. my brothers are in computer jobs (networking) but they both got their qualifications at college and ive now got a job that works on shifts mornings and nights so dont have the time to go to college.

i tried computeach and the guy came round but it was quite expensive and i didnt here from them again. ive read about microsoft qualifications but i just want to start from the bottom and get a entry level job. i know that i cant walk into a £25 grand job. so any advice would be grateful thanx

2. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Hi mate. Welcome to CF

If you do a search around the forum, you will find many people (including myself) in the same boat as you, and thanks to good advice from people here, a lot of people (again, including myself) have adopted the self study route.

If you want to go into maintenance, the CompTIA A+ certification is always a good start, and with the right study guide, an old PC to tinker with and some determination, there is no reason why you can't self-study and get on your way to full certification, and all for a damn site cheaper than a training provider

The A+ is aimed at entry-level people and with bagloads of help and advice here, you can't really go wrong

Cheers

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi Pip, this begs the question - What do your brothers think?

After all, they know you, whereas we don't. We can only offer generalised advice which is highly dependant on the quality of information that is posted.

Having said that, it would seem that CompTIA's A+ is right up your street but remember, there is a lot of competition in this market and you will be fighting for jobs alongside people with experience. It is the experience that counts, so for a start, you need to get your hands dirty and start pulling computers apart and get involved with them. The cert process does not bypass this step, it is supposed to enhance the practical knowledge with theoretical knowledge making you an all round expert. They go together like a violin and a bow one without the other cannot make the kind of music that happens with both.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Insiderous

Insiderous New Member

Sound advice from Bluerinse. Get your hands dirty - you don't even know if you'll enjoy IT work until you try. Computeach and in fact most of the "change your life by studying with us" companies will just lead you through a few certifications at the expense of actually teachng you to do things and unfortunately no hiring manager will be interested in a list of certs and nothing to say you've been there and done it, even on an amateur basis.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCSE, CCNA, CCNP, CIW
    WIP: MCSE W2K3, CCIE
  5. piprumsey

piprumsey New Member

hi guys thanx for the advice i think i will go the self study route as it seems more enjoyable and flexible than computeach for example. i was just wondering if you guys went this way how long did it take you, i know it depends on how much you put in and your experience but i was just wondering how u guys got on. also if i did get CompTIA's A+ qualification would this allow me to get a job (might be rubbish but dont care) or will i need to carry on and get a higher qualification first. thanx

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You don't necessarily need a cert like A+ to get a job as a trainee tech in a small PC repair outfit. They will take all things into consideration, especially how much money you would expect to earn. You should start studying now and start getting some hands on, then after you feel you have reached a reasonable level of competence, start asking around the local PC outfits and or offer to do some voluntary work etc. You need to build your portfolio of experience and that's not going to happen by sitting around wondering what if? Be positive, be proactive and make it happen!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Awesome advice, Blue. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!