training provider advent computing

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by ayazahmed786, Sep 29, 2009.

1. ayazahmed786

ayazahmed786 New Member

Last week i had an "interview" at adventcomputing. I thought to myself, lets see what these guys are all about. The adviser said to me that it will take me approx 2years to complete the course and they will put me up for job interviews right away.

Now the cost for this course (MCSE) is just over £5k

Is anyone with this training provider or completed any of their training. Would you recommend them? are they any good?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2009
  2. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I am with Advent, and well it depends on what you want. They mostly leave you to study on your own, there are no student forums. The only plus side for me is the class room days which I normally find pretty useful.

If you can self study you will save a lot of money - like over 2K.
    If you can't look at local colleges or lok at Advent the choice is yours.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Well, the MCSE is designed for people with a year's worth of server administration experience in a multi-site, multi-server environment. If you've got that experience, then great. If not, then Advent is selling you something that Microsoft recommends they shouldn't.

I can't speak as to whether they provide good training or not. However, you can self study for a LOT cheaper than £5k. Certification isn't going to automagically open doors to you if the experience isn't there, so please, don't risk a lot of money on the hopes that they'll find you employment. Read through the posts on here, and you'll see story after story of broken promises of employment by a variety of training providers.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. free-advice

free-advice Nibble Poster

Hi there

I used to work for Advent for a short while a few years ago.

They are a good training provider, but please take the 'interviews' promise with a pinch of salt!

Why not try a smaller course first like A+ N+ & MCDST with Advent.

I would also advise to speak to other TP's as they all have their pros and cons.:dry

FA

5. steevyp

steevyp Bit Poster

i am with advent. have been for about a year now but im still on the A+ essentials side of it.
    when i rang them about a course, they listened to how much experience i DIDNT have, and they said that they could put me on an MCSE course, which included A+ first. they said that as soon as i finished the A+ module, they would find me a job so that when i eventually pass my MCSE, i would have some experience to put on myCV.
    seen as i arent doing much work on my course these days, im yet to find out if they stick to their word or not but the main thing is, they gave me a structure of how the course will go if i study!

WIP: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'm guessing that you have some kind of maximum time limit before they cut you off or start charging you extra.
    What is it, 2 years, 3?

If you're still on A+ essentials after a year and still have the MCSE ahead of you then I'd say that their structure is somewhat flawed... :blink

However, the important thing is that you are happy with the support that they are giving you.
    At the end of the day, you're paying a TP for a service - for them to do something for you that you could do yourself but would rather not.

The only thing is, you can't pay them to study for you!

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. Gingerdave

I have been on the course 3 years and have had no request for additional fees as yet so I think thats wrong.

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

If it is taking you a year or more, to do the A+, well given the common knowledge that all the exams from Microsoft are harder, some in the MCSE track, by a mamouth factor, you should in theory pass the MCSE (seven exams) in about 10 years time :eek:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Sorry, I was only guessing.
    But they have to draw the line somewhere or you would potentially be their student forever...
    There's got to be a clause somewhere that says 'until you pass or xxx, whichever is sooner' or something like that.

10. Advent Chris

Advent Chris New Member

Hello all

As you can guess, I work for Advent, so will try to keep this as factual and neutral as possible.

Gingerdave and JonnyMX are both right. We support people for as long as they are on the course, and there are no additional fees for this. So whether you take six months or five years to complete, we'll still offer support.

In theory, once a student has finished the entire course, the support ends. In practice, when former students phone us up, we still talk to them.

Hope this clears it up

Chris @ Advent

11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Not quite.
    JonnyMX was wrong and Gingerdave didn't know.

But thanks anyway! :biggrin

12. steevyp

steevyp Bit Poster

ive kinda had other things to do so i havent really been studying. when i started this course tho, i was an absolute total beginner. i didnt even know what a PCI slot was :oops:

13. gregbuchanan10

gregbuchanan10 New Member

I am with advent at the moment jsut started my course and i am finding it very useful along with this website. Im looking for jobs already in IT as i should complete my A+ in a few weeks.

I think the structure they have and that they set out are perfect and make it alot simpler than most places.

With regards to the promised interviews if i were you i would go and do it myself. A good thing is that they do give CV training.

I'll definitely recommend these

Certifications: CompTIA A+
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA, RHCE
  14. AndyBrooks

AndyBrooks New Member

I recently took on the Advent Training course, it seemed so perfect to expand my IT skills. However, after reading many of these Advent Training threads I've become deeply concerned that I may have been caught by a scam.

Due to time constraints imposed by extended periods of work, I now have concern that I may not be able to finish the course in time before I have to pay off the £5k fee (12 month period).

Don't suppose anybody could offer any advice? :/

15. steevyp

steevyp Bit Poster

i dont think they hve a 3 year cut off date. theres a guy on here who works for advent and he says that they support you to the end of the course. best thing to do is email [email protected] and ask for yourself!

16. Gingerdave

There is no cut off date - I have been with them for 4 years!