Training or exam fees funding for unemployed?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by choons, Jun 9, 2004.

1. choons

choons New Member

Hi all.

I have recently been made unemployed after working in IT for just over 3 years. A few things seem to have gone wrong recently with a bad month including my driving licence which is likely to be revoked on medical grounds.

Anyway enough of the sob story, I currently have my CCNA and a few years experience of windows 2000/2003 /exchange/sql/watchguard and quite good general linux skills, mostly on the web side of things. I've found I have the 'hands on' experience but not many of the buzzwords which some agencies still seem to insist on.

I am looking at doing a few MCPs to start with hopefully progressing to MCSE time and money dependant. I'm also looking into security+ which I can use towards MCSE and possibly even the redhat certs.

Does anyone know of any funding that I would possibly be entitled too for being out of work. My contributions for the past 8 years have been high enough and it would be good to get something back!

I was actually searching google for various keywords relating to unemployment, MCSE etc and ended up here. I found this post which points to an area with IT base. I've enquired with them anyway and thought I would check if there are any other possiblities.

I am wondering if there are any government schemes which maybe pay for training or just the exam entry fees, I do have some of the material already and have started 70-290 but imagine this could get quite costly. In previous workplaces I've always worked a stack of extra hours and never really got the promised 'study time' to actually get any certifications and though this would be a good opportunity to get my head down, but obviously whilst not working this won't be possible.

If anyone has any information which is related it would be most appreciated

thanks

2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi choons and welcome to CertForums.

All I can give you a warm welcome to the site and a promise that I'll drop Rosy a line and ask if she can help as she works in this field and may know of funding channels that you may be able tap into.

Actually when I was made redundant a couple of years ago I visited my local learn direct centre and signed up for two windows 2000 courses that were for workstation and server. They was not enough to get me through the exams but for FREE they were a nice addition to my knowledge and got me out of the house for a few hours a week. Maybe your local centre may have something similar on offer.

HTH, Si :D

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. choons

choons New Member

Thanks Si, great information and the learn direct stuff sounds promising. I remember ringing these guys a few years ago and they kept hassling me with extortionate prices :)

If its relevant im in the north west so both liverpool and manchester are accessible for me. I am not expecting the best of courses, I dont think its fair that by simply being unemployed will get me free courses that others would pay for but anything would be a bonus at the moment

Just out of interest, you say they weren't enough to get you through the exams, were they 'official' MCP courses or just based on them? Assuming you mean www.learndirect.co.uk ill drop them a line.

Thanks again

p.s I really like the phpBB template, please don't move to vbulletin :)

4. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi

A chat to the local Job Center might help.

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Hello, choons. Welcome to certforums. Sorry I can't help our with your query but being in the US, I don't have any information about funds for job training in your neighborhood. I remember I tried to find something similar in the states but came up nada.

I agree with Sandy that a visit to your local Job Centre would be in order if it's anything like the Employment Office here in the states. If nothing else, they are obligated to know the law about employment benefits, training and such.

Not to pry, but if any of your medical issues are considered a disability, there may be funding available for you in that arena. Just a thought.

Almost five years ago, I lost my first career and had to put myself through school by working multiple temp positions at the Post Office. It was pretty brutal work sometimes, but it paid off in another degree. Long story short, it is possible to recover from a loss of employment but I can't say it's easy. In my case, I completely changed careers. Fortunately for you, you're not doing that.

I wish you well and I'm glad you found this place. Hope you'll stay on and contribute. We can always use another CCNA around here. Hang in there.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

No they were not "official" MCP courses they were/are old netg course material that covered some of the MCP objectives so I though as they were for free then why not give them a go. An yes that is the address.

I'll be keeping the same template when we move to VB so no worries there. :D

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  7. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

My advice to you Choons would be to check out any local training centres as to what they can offer you and as the guys above said check with your local job centre as to any programmes that may be useful to you in your area. The centres in the area where I work offer most learndirect courses free of charge so it may be the same in your area if you check it out. If not, there are also some Learndirect centres that are virtual ones so it may be that you could do a distance course for free. However, I am aware that the way their funding works changes in August so I would get as much information as soon as possible to give you chance to make the right decisions.

I am sorry that I am not much help as to information in your area but I would definately suggest contacting the smaller and local training companies as they are the ones that will be able to offer you training either free or at a reduced cost.

Let us know how you get on!

Certifications: MOS Master Instructor
  8. choons

choons New Member

Cheers for all the replies.

I emailed learndirect, am still awaiting a reply. Contacted a training centre where I had been previously they didn't know of anything in particular except a sort of government loan where they pay the interest or something which is better than nothing.

I suppose being realistic im not going to get full training and exam fees, as people would quit their jobs to get certified! :) Ill ask at the job centre and see what happens and keep people updated.

I've been looking at doing a quick MCP for 2003 server which I can do self study and now looking at the GIAC courses, probably GSEC but the firewall track also looks very interesting. I like the way they show previous practical papers too, there should be more certs like this

9. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

Is it the Career Development Loan that they have suggested to you Choons? If so then ask for a pack with the full details first as there are different benefits with the different banks that are involved in this. I have some packs at our centre from a while ago - I could send you one to have a look at if it would help you (PM me if I can help). I haven't had much experience of them but I think you choose your course and centre and then complete the forms for the loan with these details (costs etc) and then wait for a reply.

Hope this is of some use to you!

Certifications: MOS Master Instructor