training in the Southampton area for comptia.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Georgiesickjitz, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Georgiesickjitz

Georgiesickjitz Byte Poster

Hi All my name is Georgie Canning. I am currently looking to broarden my horrizons, and one day change my career to I.T. My first step was to look into a course that would be suitable for what i was looking for. With a little research and a few suggestions from friends, i realised the comptia A+ was the best course. I have done a little self study, which a found great. But as i got a lot further in to the book, i found the imformation was not sinking in. I then thought about training schemes/college ect. I live in Southampton. it seems whilst searching for training providers, the name popping up most is pittman training. Does any one have any experiences or valid opinions that could help me out in reguards to pittman or any other comptia tutors within the Southampton catchment.

Any advice would be great. Its amazing to see the vast information and helpful people on this forum.

Thanks
    Georgie

Certifications: CompTIA A+,CompTIA Network
    WIP: CCNA
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

There are some great colleges and universities in Southampton, why not give them a look ?

3. CraigH

CraigH New Member

I agree about the books... dead boring and slow.

I found multimedia study (videos, labs and exam-prep software) worked the best for me. I didn't want to be restricted to set 'classes' and times, plus the travelling. I also wanted to be able study more when I felt like it etc.

Classes are good for practical, but I used a bunch of old 'banger' PC's that I got here, there and everywhere for my A+ practice etc. I built my own little network and did all the things that I could have done in a live class, but in the comfort of my bedroom. I just used 3 old PC's in a cluster and swapped the monitor cable around! Cheap and cheerfu. I could've bought a monitor and keyboard switch - but that was more money!

There are several good multimedia training providers - and I'd recommend doing the comptia A+ 2009 now - the 220-701 (essentials) and 220-702 (practical) exams.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA