Training idea to replace Lab Partners on CF ?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by UKDarkstar, Dec 21, 2008.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Hey folks

Having watched the gorgeous Kate Russell yesterday suggesting some websites I was prompted to visit one :

School of Everything

Looks interesting I thought so did a search under "MCSE" and it turned up a load of guys offering free training via little web gtg's.

Here's an example of what one guy was offering.

Now it struck me that us lot on CF could do something similar or make use of the "School" and offer services via that. I know we have some IT trainers on here; not sure if they'd volunteer their time/effort freely but up to them to comment.

We'd have to be careful that we're not making promises that people will pass and maybe Admins could ensure that the "right" CF members get "recommended" as trainers (we don't want a load of new members who have braindumped their way and have no experience).

So, what do you guys ('n' gals !) think ?

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Comments anyone ?

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Hi

I'd definately be interested, as a learner, rather than an instructor (I'm nowhere near ready to teach yet).

I know local colleges can be a great help, and quite cost-effective compared to other training providers, but those of us who have young families, or work shifts etc may not be able to fit rigid hours in. The ability to pick up a webcast or some study notes at a more convienient time, through the web, would be great.

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Good idea, I would think though that whatever somebody creates would have to be read by the relevant qualified prem members to check for errors as you dont want to publish something to the masses that has errors in it. but definately a good idea.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Would an open source style peer review system help? E.g. when a member creates a resource, others could research and verify the info contained. This would allow the creator to be confident that their work was correct, and the act of researching and verifying the info would also act as a study tool.

Certifications: HND Computing
  6. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Now your talking, sounds like a great idea!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I think that it would a good idea, however it would have to be with someone with alot of free time on their hands.

I deliver the MS courses (currently considering the 70-290 in Jan) with the MS material, which I don't believe will be looked upon with a smile from them if I gave them away freely. Plus there's the set-up of the VM's & preparation time, etc.

Maybe something to consider in conjunction with some sort of custom made e-learning solution that I was going to develop to go hand-in hand for my classes, just not enough time in the day to make it happen.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

It sounds like a very good idea; however, one assumes that anything produced and shown on CF then becomes 'freeware' for the purposes of training? Or would the 'author' expect to retain copyright over anything he/she produces?

Also, who would the onus be on for ensuring that the person producing the 'freeware' hadn't inadvertantly infringed any other copyright?

Not trying to be the prophet of doom... but failing miserably; however, we do need to protect CF.

9. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

yes good point, but I've done a couple of tutorials on my blog which are not really very long (each one is only about a particular feature)but I have found them of great assistance to my studying. I dont really care what happens to the tutorials although if they start appearing word for word in books people write them I suppose I would be a little miffed. So if only for that reason then giddy has a good point about the copyright.