Training for development - what to do?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by knightsy, Jan 13, 2009.

1. knightsy

knightsy New Member

Hi all - first post!

I work for a small company and we have some in house software thats based around an sql server and a enterprise level database and two clients, vb 6 and vb.net.

In the medium term we will be consolidating this software into a new application that will use asp.net to create a web front end with visual c# 2008 doing the work from the database.

We will be getting a bespoke developer to help with this but in the meantime my boss wants to train 2 of us to be able to take on managing this software.

I was picked because in the past i built a simple space invaders game in vb6. I have yet to work with c# or .net.

My boss is offering training time, about 1/2 - 1 day a week, for me to be able to do this. He would like us to eventually complete some microsoft exam(s). I will also be putting in some of my own time as I believe it will benefit me personally as well.

I've had a read around on here and it seems the new microsoft exams may be too hard for me at this stage? I would love any steps or advice on how to go forward. Is there a different recognised exam I could work toward if the microsoft ones are too indepth? Or is there is a good MS set to work on?

Thanks.

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I started (at college) with VB 2 & 3 for City & Guilds, moved up to version 5 & 6 for my NVQ and when I tried VB .Net for my own interest (I was going to develop my project for Uni with it) I have to say that it was very, very different.

I would suggest that you forget about the certification first of all and concentrate on learning VB .Net first of all. You cabn download the express edition of Visual Studio here and maybe get yourself a VB .Net book like this one to learn/convert/update your current skill set.

When you feel comfortable then work towards the exam :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security