Training Center

Discussion in 'A+' started by alsheppard, Oct 25, 2005.

1. alsheppard

alsheppard Bit Poster

Hi guys, hope your all okay.

I've been reading the mike Meyers a+ book like some of you advised, and it is ten times better than the one i was reading.

i have a much better understanding now although I'm still not confident enough to take the exam.

There is a on-site learning center called info-tech who are offering half price training (£350) and money off vouchers for the exams.

It's a 2 week course is this a feasible time to learn the whole syllabus?

All the best

Adam

2. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

hi there

first off 350 is VERY cheap, whats the quality there like ? I'm wary of anywhere that cheap as a training center is not cheap to run

Second, you'll not 'learn' the syllabus in 2 weeks - you'll be taken through it by an instructor - hopefully clarifying everything and arming you with the information you need to go home and study.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  3. Ecuyetx

Ecuyetx New Member

I have looked at quite a few options and the cheapest I have seen is over £500. I think I would question the quality if it is that cheap. It would be nice to get a bargain, but I think you generally get what you pay for.
    I've looked at a couple of colleges in London that give you 5 days of class room and then flexible study and practice time and they are both over £500. Most of the residential courses are only 5 days and they are usually over £1000.

It is difficult to find who is the best to use. It is easy to find comments about companies that people don't like, not so easy to get a very positive recommendation.

Certifications: None
  4. LYNX78

LYNX78 Bit Poster

where better axactly can l get Mike MEYERS A+ book.

Certifications: A+ , N+
    WIP: CCNA , CCNP
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Any decent bookshop should be able to get it for you if it isn't in stock. In London the majors have multiple copies on the shelves.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

Amazon ought to have it

7. alsheppard

alsheppard Bit Poster

Yeah it does sound cheep, but it is a promotional offer leading into Christmas - regular price is £700. I guess they don't get much business this time of year. And it's in pembrokeshire, not one of the busiest places in Briton.

8. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

I'm still wary. Where I work we're busier than ever right now.

Decent staff cost money and waht they're charging doesn't leave a huge amount over to cover costs and profit. Of course, I could be wrong *G*

9. Ecuyetx

Ecuyetx New Member

I just bought the Mike Meyers book from Amazon for £28. That is supposedly about 30% off. And as it is over £25 it is free delivery.

Certifications: None
  10. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I guess I'm rather confused by the opening post. If you're already using the Mike Myers book, and studying on your own, successfully by the sounds of it, why do you want to pay a training provider big bucks? Doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of buying the books and teaching yourself?

If you're thinking that a training provider is going to save you from self study, I fear you're quite mistaken. No training provider will save you from that. They'll just charge you a bunch of money to tell you to study. Most aren't a whole lot more help than that.

Save your money and spend it on building a computer lab. You'll be money and knowledge ahead by a long ways.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1