Training advice sought

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by LOZIT, Jan 5, 2009.

1. LOZIT

LOZIT New Member

First of all I am new to the forum and wasn't too sure whether to tag onto the MCSE debate or not anyway
    apologies to the moderators if this isn't in the right section.

I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

What is the order and best way to train to get into the IT industry. I have been looking into CCNA certification. My IT level is such that some years ago I built my own computer so I have some knowledge at a basic level.

First of all would it be beneficial/necessary to complete the Comptia A+ and the Network+ before I moving onto CCNA. Also I recently attended a free CCNA one day visit to a training centre where I was advised that at some stage it would be good to complete the MCSE to add to my skill base.

In short could anyone advise me as to the order to do things to have the best chance to get an entry level IT position. I have read the MCSE paper debate strand so would assume that it would be better to get on the IT ladder at a lower level before attempting this qualification.

I appreciate that with the current credit crunch situation that securing a position in the IT industry will be difficult. At the moment my current job is fairly safe so I would be looking to spend the next 1 to 2 years training but as I am 42 at the moment it would mean that I would be 43/44 by the time I believe the job market will pick up. I am worried that I may be too old for the this industry by this time.
    Any opinions on the state of the IT industry would also be appreciated.

Advice appreciated

2. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

I would say yes do the A+ it should be quite an easy one to pass if you have been around computers and spent alot of time tinkering.

Then i would look at a helpdesk role if you can afford to take a huge pay cut im assuming your on more than £15k-18k at the moment.
    while your doing that job your gaining experiance and this is the key to IT aswell as technical knowlage, when your working in your helpdesk job or mabe before start looking at the MSDST this will help you technically.

or you could just start working towards your MCSA while your in your helpdesk job. its a very hard slog and you should be able to get 70-270 and 70-290 (windows XP and windows server 2003 ) exams done with some hardcore study. you will then hit a brick wall with 70-291 the network infrastructure exam. i have failed this one twice now and both times its because i screwed up a simulation question.

once you have a year or so at first line you can move to seccond line and eventually work upto server support and then possibly move off to project work like designing the networks and other bits. i would expect this to happen over a time frame of 5 - 8 years +

i have reached second line IT support in just under 2 years i started my first IT job october 2007 and i started a second line it job in september 2008. with only 2 MCP exams and a will to learn and study

Certifications: MCP 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA + Messaging, MCSE + Security
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

certs like CCNA, MCSA and MCSE are for people who already work in IT and have the appropriate on the job experience.

You should look at A+,N+ and MCDST as they require very little or no experience.

Welcome to CF

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

As GBL said the CCNA is for someone with some experience of working in a Cisco environment, however there are 2 things you can do if you have determination.

1) The CCENT, this is the Network+ (but to a higher level) of Cisco certs, you will learn a lot here, so be prepared for some late nights, and frustration but for someone looking to demonstrate an ability to use cisco equipment and run a very small networks switches and routers.

2) Read and Learn the CCNA material, dont do the exam and display proficiency whithin a job role.
    To be honest 2 is difficult, basically as you will not likely be "allowed" on the companys switches & routers, however the theory behing the CCNA will really help you when it comes to diagnostics of network issues, and the more of these you show, the higher level of respect you will gain with your peers and you should use that opportunity to find a mentor (Someone higher up in your companies food chain)

My personal best advice is to do this order (while looking for an IT role), as it will build upon your knowledge and get some certs on your CV quicker, thus giving you another usp (unique selling point) at interviews.

A+
    Network+
    MCDST
    70-290 or 70-620
    CCENT

Then assuming you are working in IT (these certs should take around 12-18 months) and depending upon what your job role entails then go for MCSA and maybe CCNA

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  5. LOZIT

LOZIT New Member

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice does anyone have any thoughts on the age issue?
    By the fact that this has not been mentioned in your replies could I assume this won't be a problem?

thanks

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Oh yeah...that would be me. I did a career change into technology at about your age. Actually, I took a technically unrelated slave job while I put myself into a 2 year retraining program. Then I did my slave day job and took contract work at nights and on the weekends for the experience and to build up my CV. I finally had to bite the bullet, give up the relative security of the day job, and throw myself into "full-time" temporary contract work.

I did eventually land a full-time permanent gig, but after almost 2 years, the company folded. Been in temp contract jobs ever since up until last month when I scored another full-time permanent job. Do contract work on the side, so I'll have more than one income stream, but that's stuff I can do at home (I'm a technical writer by trade).

The age thing is do-able, but regardless of age, a major transition is a bumpy ride.

Certifications: A+ and Network+