Trainee Infrastructure Analyst Interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by flex22, Oct 1, 2003.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I just got a letter informing me to attend an interview for the job I described in this thread http://www.certforums.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=656

All help and advice on what you think I should brush up on for the interview, interview techniques, etc etc.

I would be grateful for all advice off you people.This is my first interview for an IT job.Please give all tips possible.

Thanks!

2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Good Luck Flex 8)

Just repeat what I posted in Jak's similar post:
    http://www.certforums.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=692

All the best, when is the interview date :?:

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

6th October is my interview date.It's with two people, arhhh :!:

I've had interviews with two people before, but I prefer speaking to one person.At least I've more of a chance connecting with one of them, and I can change who I'm directly looking at between the people.

I think I'll have to brush up on stuff because much of what I've learned hasn't been put into practice workwise, therefore it becomes stale.I think a quick overview of what I've learned is in order.

I also stated on my application form that I had helped fix peoples computers on a few occasions.However, this wasn't anything major, just really simple stuff.I'll try and recall a couple of situations incase I get asked to give any examples.

I'm getting worried about this interview already.I think it's because it means so much to me.My problem is that I think I'm no good in comparison to others.I always get a shock when I'm complimented or thought of as useful.I really need to think more of myself.Afterall this job isn't anything major.I seem to change from one minute thinking I can conquer the world, to being a nervous reck, totally unsure of myself.I really wish I didn't get like that, I wish I was more stable.

I've decided that I'll be totally truthful and totally myself.The job description asks for "no" or some previous experience.My many hours of studying and simple computer skills should be more than adequate.I need to chill and play it cool :afro

Anyway, let's hope that they catch when I'm relaxed and not in self doubt mood.

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Obviously, I haven't seen your resume, but I hope it's worded to focus on the tasks you've done and not so much on the context. If you say: "I helped fix a friend's computer", it sounds a bit "newbie". At the beginning of an IT career, it's best to try and disguise this by not mentioning time frames and contexts. It's better to say something like: "Installed network interface cards, sound cards, attached and configured perpheral devices..." something like that...even if you did all this work for a friend in an afternoon in exchange for a pizza and beer (or whatever equivalent food reward you may have where you are).

I cannot stress enough to "be yourself" in the interview. Especially for a trainee position, they're not looking for Bill Gates or Linus Torvalds to walk in the door...they're looking for someone who is a "trainee" and demonstrates reliability, honesty, and hard work. You'll be the "grunt" of IT (but you'll learn a lot). When I apply for such positions, I consider myself the glue that holds everything else together...the guy who does what the more experienced folks don't have time for.

On the other hand, don't go in there selling yourself short. Tell them your strengths and why you believe you're the best person for the job. If you go in there projecting "vibes" that you won't get the job, they'll pick that up and you probably won't.

Interviewing with only two people is not much more of a chore than with one. I've interviewed with up to five people at once, which is a real torture session. In your case, one's probably the general "boss" and the other's the IT person.

Just "put your best foot forward". Win or lose, do your best and hold your head up high. Good luck on the 6th.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Good luck Flex :!:

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  6. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

I have got to ask what does a Infrastructure Analyst do?

7. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I was hoping someone could tell me.The job desription is in the other thread.However, this doesn't really delve too much.It's in the IT department and it says that it's a good role to enter into IT, so I'm gain for it.

I googled "infrastructure analyst."Here's one of the results.Note that it says "this is not a technical position"

http://nisource.eapps.com/columbia/jobsearch.nsf/0/a3d199d7d0f00dba85256d3c006477dd?OpenDocument

hmmm :!: Maybe it has a business side slant.That would be good because I like the business side of things.I would love eventually to go into companys, study there goals, and then design networks based on those goals, as part of a team.This new job would be good experience of analyzing business goals, and implementing the necessary.

Now, now flex, don't get ahead of yourself (sorry I'm in "conquer the world mode") :D

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Flex,

You said it yourself - just BE yourself. Stay cool, with no pretences of what your not.

I actually prefer more than one Interviewer - in my experience they tend to cut you a bit more slack. By that, I mean, if its just one person, and you don't hit it off, your stuck in an uncomfortable situation for an hour :eek:

But if there are 2 or more, you'll surely "connect" with at least one, which makes the whole thing a bit more relaxed. That then lets you express what you've got to say and offer.

Good luck on the 6th - keep us posted ....

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Thanks everyone.I'm just talking to my tutor at the moment, he's giving me tips as well.

Your advice means a lot.Thanks :!:

PS: Good luck Jakamoko with your job also.

10. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

:yep Great news Flex, like the Gav said just be yourself. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  11. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

So It looks like you will be off to the the USA looking at the address of the Co.

12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Hey, as long as you're "in the neighborhood", let me know if you'd like to drop by for a visit. :D

13. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

This is their website www.paymentshield.co.uk or rather will be their website.

Hmm, maybe I should learn website design over a weekend.It'll be a challenge but now, where do we start, now there's this html stuff, Java, frontpage, IAS Server, proxy........................................

14. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Just had the interview.It went ok.Quite tough as in giving examples and also having to explain why I dropped out of college "gulp."

One nice interviewer, one a little more tougher, but they were both very pleasant.

I was shown the server room.Wow :!:

They have some apple servers and quite a lot of apple clients in the call centre.The guy said to me that I would need to learn macs.I said "how, I don't have a mac at home."He just said he'd give me one."OK then," I replied.

Not really sure of the outcome.It was a little strange really.I think these guys really knew how to interview and how to really find out about people.

I held my own though, quite competently I feel.Surprised myself yet again.

That's it for now, my heads still musing things over.

Thanks!

15. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Well done Flex, did they give you any indication of when they'd get back to you? How many other people they are considering? How long did it last?

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  16. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

They said it wouldn't be long before they got back to me.I think someitme this week.

They were seeing four people today, I was the third.They're seeing one more person tomorrow.
    So if my maths is correct, that's five people altogether.Quite a short shortlist, probably why they call it a shortlist :hhhmmm

It lasted about an hour.Is that a good sign :?:

Just seeing that server room with the UPS, backups, countless cables, loads of servers stacked up, running just about everything I've ever heard of and more, was inspiring.Of course, the guy showing me round constantly stressed that these were his babies and that I wouldn't get near them for at least a year.That doesn't bother me so much.I really need to start on the ground floor and build up my confidence anyhow.

It was good to see stuff for real, and I even knew what some of it was :D

17. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Excellent news, there - sounds inspiring, for sure :eek:

Fingers, ears, eyes etc are all crossed for you :P

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  18. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Didn't get it ------ their loss :!:

19. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Sorry to hear that Flex, Chin up though mate :D

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  20. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Hey, you made the short list. That means they took you seriously. There's a lot of techs out there and competition is stiff. You took your best shot and that's what counts. Keep plugging away. It'll happen.