"Trainee Data Analyst" job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by clsyorkshire, Jun 28, 2007.

1. clsyorkshire

clsyorkshire Bit Poster

Hi guys, I've been offered an interview for the above job.

One of the requirements for the job in the advert said "attention to detail". Now having looked at the company's website I've noticed the same mistake twice on different pages. Explaining where their office is, they twice quote the wrong county. Now having lived here for twenty years I definitely know which county I live in!

At the interview would it be wrong to point out such a thing? Don't want to seem too critical/cocky but when it says "attention to detail" in the advert, this could be a way of proving it to them! Maybe it's a test?! :biggrin

Certifications: AS IT, AVCE IT
    WIP: A+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Don't go out of your way to embarrass them. Focus on what you can do for them in terms of your own ability to attend to detail. After they offer you the job and assuming you accept it, wait a few weeks, find out who the webmaster is, and send that person an email saying you "just happened to notice" a few typos on the corporate website.

If for whatever reason you don't get the job, you might still want to send an email to the webmaster pointing these things out. It's easy to say you value "attention to detail" in a job description but as both an author and website administrator, I know how easy it is to miss typos and other mistakes. Be forgiving.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Agreed - wait until the job is yours... then tell them later.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. clsyorkshire

clsyorkshire Bit Poster

Yep I agree.

Thinking about the interview itself, do they have to give notice/warning if they intend to have a practical section of the interview, or can they just expect me to go for it when I get there?

Certifications: AS IT, AVCE IT
    WIP: A+
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I don't know if they *have* to tell you in advance, but I'm sure you could call their HR person or recruiter and ask. It's also possible that information is available on the "Jobs" page of their website.

In preparation for my upcoming interview with a company, they sent me some materials that included the following statement:
    If you don't have such an indication from your interviewer, it doesn't hurt to call and ask.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Do they "have to"? To my knowledge, there's no law requiring it... so no, they don't have to tell you anything.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!