Totally new to this forum, help on A+ please?

Discussion in 'A+' started by victor1983, Feb 1, 2011.

1. victor1983

victor1983 New Member

Hi all,

I am so glad I have joined this forum, it is totally perfect, a UK IT certification forum.

Anyway I am interested in studying and sitting the A+ exam, and I have heard of the Mike Meyers books which I can buy, but other than that, I don't know much else about how I can take the exam. Apparently there are 2 providers where you can take the exam. Which one is the better one to use? Pearson VUE or Prometric?

Anything else I should know before I start to cram in the studying?

Thanks all.

2. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Hello and welcome to the forum. Looks like you are going the right way to getting certified for the A+ The only thing I might add to this is to get your hands on a spare PC you can have a play with without fear of messing anything up.

As far as testing centres go, I prefer Prometric only because I am taking MS exams as well and they only offer Prometric for their exams. I like to have all my exams under the same roof so to say...

Anyway, best of luck with your studies.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  3. victor1983

victor1983 New Member

Okay, so I have gone on the Pearson VUE website, have found my nearest UK test centre, now what? How do I actually buy the exam?

Victor

Edit: Actually ignore this, I have figured it out, thanks for your help.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  4. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

Create an account, choose the exam you want and then book it.

5. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

You don't actually BUY the exam per se, you book a time to take it on the site. It is pretty straight forward. You register with the particular provider you choose, pick your vendor / exam, pick a centre that is close to you then pick a date you want to take the exam. Pay the exam fee, and you are booked. Simples!

I don't usually do this until I am ready to sit the exam, so personally I think you may be better off getting down and dirty with the material. Besides, most self study guides go through how to book and take the actual exam anyway.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  6. victor1983

victor1983 New Member

Okay, and I have just been on the Pearson VUE website and have found a college where I can sit both exams 220-701 and 220-702. How long is each exam, and is it okay to book them both one after another, in the same day? Or is it better to sit and pass one, then wait a week, and then sit and pass the other too, to get more revision in?

Thanks.

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

All the information is on the compTIA website but since I'm a nice guy I will tell you both exams are 90 minutes and you can take all that time if you need to but you can leave when your finished.

You can buy discount vouchers from www.gracetechsolutions.com (make sure you buy international vouchers) instead of paying pearsonvue with your credit/debit card you use the voucher codes gracetech send you (by email 24 hours after purchase).

When I did the A+ gracetech charged £107 per voucher with no VAT to pay however if you book the exams directly with no vouchers its £111+VAT each.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

HI and welcome! Id recommend the mike meyers book plus He has the full course explained on videos, its great to hear someone explain something sometimes rather then reading it!
    I took both exams one after the other, and i spent about 40 mins on each one.
    I booked thru pearson vue using the discount code APLUSFAN but i think that has expired or will do very soon!
    It was 15% off 1 exam.
    Good Luck

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  9. Timostag

Timostag Bit Poster

EVERYONE on here recommends Mike Meyers book, but personnally I think his website is by far the best way to learn

http://www.professormesser.com/free...essers-free-220-70x-comptia-a-training-course

I struggle to learn from reading so watching the videos is very good for me as it just somehow stays in my head better. Prof Messer's website has the best videos Ive seen on the A+ as he is very clear and consise (doesnt help your spelling though) and the videos seem to stick the the main points you need to know for the exam where as the books that ive read seem to think the more information they throw at you the more they can charge (I havent read mikes tho).

Oh, and the best thing..... It's FREEE

1 small point although there is a daily pop quiz, there isnt really any practice exams on the website but there are hundreds of threads on these forums of good places to go for practice exams

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
    Certifications: A+,MTA:Networking, MTA: Server Fundamentals MTA:Operating Systems MTA:Security Fundamentals ITIL Foundation
  10. Benny30

Benny30 Bit Poster

Does anyone know which Mike Meyers book is the most appropriate? Or is it just the latest one... (seventh edition is it?)

11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

teh latest book i.e the 7th edition.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?