Toshiba laptop driver quest!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by delorean, Jan 29, 2008.

1. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Does anybody know where to get XP drivers for an A135-S4407 Satellite laptop?

It originally shipped with Vista but I am putting XP on it for someone and cannot for the life of me find the correct audio driver for it.

Anybody able to help with this one please?

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Have you tried the driverguide.com? or even looked at Toshiba website? What chipset does it have?

is it an intel 943GML?

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

um... I couldn't see drivers for this laptop listed on the European or .com support site for Toshiba. Might be an e-mail to the support team. Brace yourself thou - the machine was shipped with Vista on.

I knew someone who bought a high spec laptop just before Windows 2000 came out. You think putting 2K would be straight forward; no display, modem or sound drivers were available at the time.

Good luck!

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Ok just in case you can't find which chipset is onboard you can run a program from the intel website and this will tell you what chipset you have and what you need to download. Believe me it saves a lot of time!

Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

It does, Dave, but it is supprised me- i have always found the Toshiba site to contain drivers, softwares and manuals for everything I have looked for in the past - always a first thou!

Si

6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

that's true Si, Toshiba are excellent for drivers for old models. I just thought it might be an idea to make sure he has the right chipset. I have been down this road before whereby i downloaded a chipset for a Intel 915GAG board but didn't know there were two types. One has an onboard NIC card made by intel a pro 100ve the other was marvell. The motherboards were made around the same time of the year. There are identical apart from the NIC cards.:dry

Do you use laptops at work? :biggrin

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Spot on!

No, all desktops mate. You?

8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Some of the newer Tosh models that are coming out have quite poor XP driver support it would seem. We got two different Tosh models recently. One was fairly straight forward putting XP on, and the other was a total nightmare. In the end we gave up and stuck with Vista. We didn't want too as it's going to be a pain compatibility wise with some of our software but Tosh haven't released any XP drivers for it yet.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  9. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Yeah we've got a lot of customers who use toshiba tecra A2, satilite, lattitude there's loads plus we have sony laptops and we have just signed up with dell. Man they are fast, excellent build with AMD 64 turion processor!

I think the biggest problem was the IT dept would not stick to one vendor and therefore we had to store drivers and s/w for a multitude of laptops some that will only work with W2k. Infact some models only have 1slot for memory lifebook does anyone remember theses?

What type of desktops do you use? What model/make?:blink

10. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Strange. We have Tecras and Satellite Pros at work, and we only use Tosh lappys... I've never had a problem with finding drivers, and we don't touch Vista with a bargepole.

I always use the link Linky if that's any different to what's been posted... :blink

EDIT - ftp://202.65.194.211/pc/audio/WDM_R182.zip

Copy and paste the above link, and that should be the drivers you need. Just grabbed this off the techguy forums, so please antivirus scan it before you do anything, as I'm not able to verify the source?

The drivers aren't readily available on the Europe/UK sites (I'm guessing) as it's a US/not European model. The drivers on the Tosh USA website are limited to Vista drivers, only offering Tosh utils for XP.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Oh wait si your right I have just found the link on my Favourite list (took a bit of time because it's so long)

here it is takes you directly to Toshiba, select the model and download the drivers:biggrin

TOSHIBA

Does anyone remember those adverts for toshiba on the telly. I am trying to remember the blokes name who said hello Tosh got a toshiba. :hhhmmm

12. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Modey - the lappie that didn't work with xp drivers can you post the model/series here?

The reason why i ask is because they are other ways around this like using drivergenius

13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Slightly off topic, but at Chistmas time i was looking for laptops for people and couldn't help laugh at the *this machine can be shipped with a Windows XP CD for reliability* :biggrin

14. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

It was an Equium with an X2 processor, dunno the model though, it's at work. Ken who also posts on here was the one working on the Equium, I got the Satellite Pro L40 which was fine with XP.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  15. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Correct that to 'appauling XP driver support' :rolleyes: however, that Intel tool is very useful, thanks for that!

I managed to find the driver in the end after a hell of a challenge. It appears this laptop was built with Vista purely in mind. It's a shame Toshiba's support on some laptops is so iffy.

Thanks a million for all the useful info everyone. :)

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA