Too tired to study..

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Juelz, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Quite annoyed really, trying to study for the A+ but by the time I get home from work deal with my kids etc, I am absolutely shattered and its an endless loop I have no idea how to break.. Today I managed about 15 minutes of videos before having to pack my system away.. Not sure what to do, can only assume a few of you on here face this dilemma?

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

So a couple of suggestions, go to bed earlier and get up earlier to try and study then.

Study on the train and during the lunch break

Make an agreement with your wife that you need the study time (I did this for the last month and my wife took over more duties to allow me extra study time in the afternoon \ evenings.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. garycul

garycul Nibble Poster

I sympathise and understand totally. I am between contracts and studying for my 70-697 exam and even though I have the whole day free it's hard to get motivated to study sometimes. When I was at Harrogate NHS on a Windows 7 rollout recently for 2.5 months I got back to the B&B each night and I didn't want to look at anything to do with computers. So it's a difficult one. I haven't even got kids so heaven knows what it must be like having all kinds of distractions. Not sure what to suggest at all but I admire you for having a go !

Certifications: 70-697 Configuring Windows Devices, 70-680 Configuring Windows 7, 70-687 Configuring Windows 8.1, TCP/IP ON NT4, NT 4 Server, NT4 Workstation, Windows 95, Windows 3.1, ITIL SLM Practitioner, ITIL v2 and v3 Foundation
  4. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

Set an achievable target each day.

When you say you're too tired, do you mean you sit and relax for a couple of hours before you go to bed or do you fall asleep immediately? If you're relaxing for a couple of hours, just go to sleep immediately and, like Simon said, get up an hour early in the morning and do 50 pages in a book, or watch 1 video. Just make sure you're making progress every single day and don't stop until you've achieved your goal. (50 pages/1 practice exam etc) You'll find as you find more effective ways of taking in information over time you can increase your daily goal, maybe to 75 pages a day or watching 2 videos or whatever. It mightn't feel like much but if you keep chipping away at it you'll get there in the end.

5. garycul

garycul Nibble Poster

Good words. Problem I have is I forget what I've learned three days later there is so much to take in. When watching say one CBT Nuggets video and doing a hands-on lab on it I understand it then forget it again ! There is a fine balance between taking too long to study it all and forget the earlier bits or rushing through it and not learning it fully. It's blooming hard work.

Certifications: 70-697 Configuring Windows Devices, 70-680 Configuring Windows 7, 70-687 Configuring Windows 8.1, TCP/IP ON NT4, NT 4 Server, NT4 Workstation, Windows 95, Windows 3.1, ITIL SLM Practitioner, ITIL v2 and v3 Foundation
  6. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

Yeah, same, but a lot of the time I don't understand things first time around anyway, so I don't mind going through all of the material 3 or 4 times and that helps solidify it all.

7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Do you know what caused me to actually sit down and study, booking the exam (£300+ btw) so I knew I had to study for the exam as I didn't want to waste that money, trust me you only want to throw away exam money once when you're paying it yourself.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    garycul likes this.
  8. MasterDelgado

MasterDelgado Nibble Poster

I passed the A+ with four weeks of study (booked them ahead of time) whilst holding down a 40-hour per week (non-I.T.) call centre job. I filled my breaks, lunches and a couple of hours after work each day either taking online tests, watching Professor Messor (until they pulled the plug on YouTube access) or taking mock tests using paid software.

I put everything else on the back burner and made passing the A+ my focus. I was also encouraged by people on this and other forums.

You can do it!

Certifications: Sec+ | Fortinet NSE 1 & 2
    WIP: CCNA
    Jaron78 likes this.
  9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

This is it exactly

10. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Needs to be a Love button :)