Too nice at work?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by demarrer, Sep 10, 2009.

1. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

I think I have to change my whole attitude at work. At the moment the office numbers have increase and I'm just getting overloaded with work. Last two weeks have been hell.
    Someone said to me 'you take too much on, its because you are too nice, you need to say no'. I find this to be a bit of a conflict being in tech support as I thought the goal was to help as much as poss. However, saying that, it seems that being too nice and helpful is starting to have a negative effect, i.e people start treating you like a doormat...!

I was wondering if anyone else has had experiences like this ? How, in a support role, do you get a good balance between being nice and saying no.

Any thoughts :)

Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Demarrer demarrer demarrer . . . .

I've seen so many people I work with including myself be like this over the years. Your friend/colleague is correct. Doing people favours and letting them walk up to your desk and ask you to do something isn't going to help you in your career. Yes you'll be well liked and a nice person but at the end of the say, if someone asks you to run some jobs or reset their AD account etc and its not logged, you're not going to get any credit from your bosses for it. Not that thats what its all about but I assume you have objectives, set possibly at the start of the year? If people know they can avoid the red tape coming to see you, they are always going to do it this way, its human nature. You'll struggle to meet your objectives and before you know it there goes your annual bonus, or a percentage of it anyway.

Do youself a favour and occasionally say no to people. Ask them to raise a call with the help/service desk so its in your queue and you have a record of the work you've done or else you'll end up working like a dog, but have nothing to present to your superiors to show what a hard worker you are :D

I posted one of my mottos on here before so might as well go all the way and tell you my other one . . . .

Work smarter not harder! ha ha I tell all my team this!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
    Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sometimes, you have to say "No" to be nice. Simply take on what you CAN take on, and promise only what you CAN promise. Then you don't have to worry about ever being a doormat.

I don't think you should ever try to not be nice... always be pleasant until there's a justifiable reason to not be.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Demarrer - I know where you're coming from, because I'm the same in kind.

It's not about being nice either - that's how it comes across though, I suppose. It's assertiveness that gives you the ability to say no.

People lack assertiveness for a number of reasons - low confidence and / or self esteem (<---- me), fear of recrimination (do you have a pushy boss, are you fearful of failure?)

Often addressing these core issues (or even recognising they are there) can help with the way you approach work. It helped me, for sure.

Sorry if this sounds sappy, but, IMO, it's the normal reason for 'yes' people.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

Cheers guys. Sometimes its tough being the only techy on site!! there are now about 140 people over 5 floors Vs me and a helpdesk down the phone.

Cheers JK for the idea about the fact if the people can avoid the red tape i.e putting in a ticket/calling the helpdesk they will. It just hit the nail on the head for me. Gonna try some of these ideas out tomorrow morning. I know I have to do something about this situation, as what is getting logged is not what is really happening in the office.

Thanks again :)

Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  6. JK2447

Helps you keep a track of what you've done too mate. Start doin too many favours an you'll forget who owes you one ha ha

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  7. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Know what you mean mate. Each time I walk into a customer site I am swamped with questions before I can get to the meeting room!

I do say "You can call the helpdesk about this" which will get a "Well I noticed you were coming in today so I thought Id talk to you about my printer problem"

This is why I drink.... :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. JK2447

I thought its because you can't be killed with conventional weapons . . .

9. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

LOL! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

We have a guy like this at work, and we are slowly changing him lol

Its good to see people realise the reasons why we are in IT, which is to keep users productive, however there are reasons for helpdesks, job logging, and having a procedure to get a problem resolved.

One of the main reason's is to keep records of where the issues are occuring, so that management can be proactive and address them at the source either through training, or improving the technology.

Another one is to stop people becoming overloaded with work, and thus their performance drops, case in point, a job failed its resolution target due to this engineer being on an ad hoc job (unlogged), so basically another client suffered because someone else didnt follow the procedures, ask yourself does this seem fair?

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  11. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Maybe a weekend bit of overtime installing some remote support software may be in order (Would be Stress, and shoe leather saving)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  12. jimmy_2k

jimmy_2k Bit Poster

Been here too myself, I managed to get by making 1 liner jobs in peoples names but still its hard. I found being the IT Tech easy compared to the fine art of being assertive whilst keeping people sweet. People need to know their boundaries with you, I mean if someone from Payroll came upto you and asked for their password resetting and you did it there and then, what you think would happen if the tables were turned and you were at their desk asking for a form to be processed there and then. You would see a dramatic change of attuide and be asked to log a job no doubt. Keep your relationship with your coworkers a professional one, after all your not there to be "mates" and your managers only look at stats have the time and won't thankyou if they think your curcumventing processes.

Certifications: MCDST, 70-290
    WIP: 70-270, 70-291
  13. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

if he's running an AD domain and say XP boxes, all he'd need to do is enable a few GPO settings to get his remote environment support setup.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM