Tomb Raider Anniversary

Discussion in 'Gamers Hangout' started by zebulebu, Jun 1, 2007.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I'm as excited as a kid!

Bought it today but haven't popped it in yet - I'm going to wait until the wife has gone to bed so I don't have any distractions :oops:

I've loved the Tomb Raider games since the first one and, since this is basically a recreation of the first with the new engine it should be superb. For my money, apart from Silent Hill, there's never been a better gaming experience than playing the original TR - I'm hoping this one lives up to it

Anyone else on here a Tomb Raider nut?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Zeb,

Are you playing these on the PC or on playstation? I do have and love the tomb raider games but time has not been on my side so haven't been able to complete each and every one of them. I do find them quite a puzzle as well as challenging. Well lets know how you get on:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

You know, I'm ashamed to say this, but I'm only just getting a PS2 console (daughter's birthday) for the first time next week,, so have never played any of these games. Saw the advert for Anniversary on TV tonight, and instantly want it !!!!

Please - let me know what it's like, as I'm probs gonna buy it if you lot give it a good rep.

Cheers :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I too am excited but wont buy it until next week (unless I get bored during the week and buy on impulse lol), but yeah a recreation of the original and alot more too...

Incidentally a guy at work showed me the trailer for the new Splinter Cell game called Conviction and all I will say is: Oh. My. GOD. :eek: :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'm getting addicted to TitanQuest. :eek: clickclickclickclickclick

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Well, I've just played it for three solid hours and its mind-blowing. I'm getting the same buzz I got from playing the original ten years ago - its very similar to the first game, but with subtle twists that make it seem even better in places.

Nothing will ever compare to the sheer wonder of playing TR1 - but this is arguably a better gaming experience. the sound in particular is awesome - and there's a fantastic sense of isolation - especially in the earlier levels. Its also so refreshing not to have to shoot people - one of the best aspects of the first game for me was the exploration factor - you just don't get that with goons round every corner waiting to pop a cap in yo ass.

All in all, I am mightily impresses. I thought the last one was an excellent game - but only hinted at the possibilities to some. This brings it home and then some - if I was reviewing it I'd be tempted to give it a 10 out of 10 - but since I've not played through it all yet, I give it a 9 1/2

Off to bed now - I'll be playing it some more tomorrow but, tbh Waliu - if you're toying with the idea of buying it - just go out and do it. It seems like it'll be the best 20 quid I'll spend on a game this year

7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

:biggrin ok im sold I shall buy it very very soon hehehe....

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

...and Amazon, here I come too !!!! :biggrin

Cheers, Zeb (if we ever see you again :ohmy )
    :tongue

9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the feedback Zeb, but I think you forgot to mention if your playing the PC or playstation version:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  10. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

I was wondering the exact same thing (maybe Xbox360???)

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Sorry chaps - PS2 all the way.

Up to the Tomb of Tihocan now (level 8). I should finish it on monday or Tuesday at this rate - then I can go back and play it properly - trying to find all the secrets & junk

It is astonishingly good - probably the best game I've played since The Getaway

12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Zeb, you need to get out more mate :twisted:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

No mate - I need to get out LESS - I spend far less money playing videogames than I would out on the razz. Two weeks sitting at home playing this sucka costs me twenty quid - if I was out larging it I'd blow at least 200 notes.

"Lara Croft Saved Me From Financial Ruin" :biggrin

14. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Just received the PC collectors edition of the game with a bonus disk of documentaries, trailers and soundtrack from both this and Legend, but finishing off Legend first.

For those using the xbox 360 controller for the PC, it supports it perfectly.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

And then, when yer done with it... YOU CAN SELL IT! What a bargain!!!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

And we thought women were just after us for our money :biggrin

17. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Ok just this second bought it off amazon so should be here in a few days...I also noticed that Halo 2 will be released next friday...for the PC...and apparently will only play on Vista...can you imagine the onslaught when this game comes out only for those Halo fans to realise they cant play it on XP...tut tut hehe...so thats another one coming my way next week...ya :biggrin

18. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

I have also been a fan of tomb raider in the past, Think i may get this one too. Maybe in a few days or so...

Another game ive enjoyed playing throughout the series is splinter cell, I bought the splinter cell double agent about a week ago for £9.99 from play.com delivered as well. Absaloutely brilliant game for the money. Graphics are absaloutely stunning.

I also managed to get PREY slipped in as well, all for a wonderful £14.99 delivered. Money well spent if you ask me. :D

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  19. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

Prey is a worthy game, however once completed dosnt have much replayability :(

Im kinda hooked on stalker at the moment.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  20. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Amazon.co.uk items (Sold by Amazon EU S.a.r.L.):

1 Tomb Raider: Anniversary (... #23.98 1 #23.98

Shipped via Royal Mail (estimated arrival date: 08-June-2007).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get in !!! :biggrin

(and yeah, I do now know that it's only £19.99 in Tesco :( )