Told you I wouldn't pass but...

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by delorean, May 29, 2010.

1. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

So I sat the 70-291 this morning with absolutely zero anticipation that I may pass the exam. I was only sitting it because I was having such a hard time with the material that it got to the point where I actually didn't know what, if anything, I had studied had actually sunk in. So I sat the 70-291 as a baseline to see just where my grey matter lay.

I failed with a score of 511. I have my second shot though so no worries, I fully intended to use it.

The big surprise came in the analysis of my score. It turns out that my strongest areas are DNS and RRAS and IP Addressing. The three biggest areas I thought I sucked at! SHOCKER! (But a pleasant one!).

I actually walked away from the exam absolutely delighted that I failed (much to the utter puzzlement of the woman at reception). The areas I thought were my weakest are my strongest! After the N+ disaster on Thursday I'm convinced now more than ever that 291 and 680 are the right choices for me.

I really must crack down on Security and simple maintenence though. Time to bust open a command prompt and get fiddling...

Oh and for those who don't like simulations (myself included) my exam this morning had NINE of them.

IN A ROW... :sick

Below: A brave photographer catches a shot of the 70-291 exam in Mecha form, laying seige to the homes of those who dared to attempt to score 700 or more.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2010
    Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Wait until you do 83-640 and the emulations, when I was doing the exam I knew guys who had to carry out over 20 different tasks, thats in addition to answering questions after the two emulations.

Knuckle down over the next few weeks and give it another go and you should be fine (as long as you study well).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Christ on a bike! That's a thought (and not a jolly one at that either).

I will certainly be knuckling down to pass the 70-291. I'm being relocated to Ireland mid-July so I really want to pass before then.

It's not like I didn't study hard for it either though. For the last month or two I've been studying the N+ and 70-291 in tandem while being on call for work 24/7 and entertaining visitors who have been staying at our house for the last two weeks (and are still here).

I've been going to work for 7:30am starts, sometimes with 2 or less hours of sleep thanks to on call, and finishing at 4pm then staying behind using our training room until 8 or 9pm at night, coming home and reading in bed until 11pm or so.

Maybe I burnt myself out, but things are set to calm down a little over the next couple of weeks. I have my second shot to use by June 30th so I will schedule a retake maybe in 2 to 3 weeks from today.

If I apply myself nearly as hard as I have been recently I reckon I'll have it nailed, even if I only scrape though I'll still carry on learning DNS, RRAS etc, it doesn't just stop with an exam pass. I want to understand the material so I can apply it to my career.

I'll get it soon enough. The beast will die. Soon.

4. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

I think i'll be failing it on wednesday if that makes you feel any better.

5. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

If you know your stuff you'll be fine! Best of luck to you. If it's not meant to be it won't pass you by. :biggrin

6. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

Haha, I think like you, my weak areas are DNS and RRAS. Thankfully the cisco stuff took care of the subnetting stuff which would have otherwise been a pain.

I found that in the MS exams it's the length and wording of the questions that throw me a little where as in cisco they seem to not try and 'trick' you as much.

I'll report in whether I pass or fail.

BTW - does anyone know if you can use a second shot twice? i.e. you fail the first time, use the second shot, fail the second time --- get a new second shot code, fail the third time, use the second shot, fail the fourth time etc (I don't think it will come to that but i'm English)

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  7. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

No. Only once.

8. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Well, it's almost here. Tomorrow is judgment day. I return, completely drained after two weeks of intense studying to finally kill the bastard beast.

This time it's personal! :duel

9. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Good luck delorean

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  10. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Those about to tackle the beast. I salute you:salut

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  11. cyphertheory

cyphertheory Bit Poster

best of luck D, you will knock it for 6 :)

Certifications: MCDST, Network+ C&G NVQ lvl 3
    WIP: 70-682 I think :P
  12. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Thanks all. :)

I swear this exam has consumed my entire life for months. I'm so tired and burned out from doing 4-6hrs+ of study every day for the last few months. I actually had 3 nightmares about it over the last couple of weeks.

I'm actually sick to death of this damn exam but hope I haven't overdone it now... :cry:

13. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Once you pass it you will look back and wonder what all the fuss was about mate honestly. I failed 291 myself and spent a mountain of time studying for it. You'll beat it mate have faith

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  14. xmojo

xmojo Nibble Poster

Hehe, network security will come back to bite you, in 70-293 if you're doing an MCSE :twisted: