To Network or Not to Network, that is the question

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Jaron78, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Hi Guys,

Hope you all well.
    Ok, been doing IT Support for about 3 years now and taken some exams in a general aspect.

I have asked Work to pay for the MCTS 70-680 and MCITP 709-686 which they are discussing and will be decided at my next One-to-One. Only been here a few weeks and as the 1-2-1's are every 3 Months, I thought Id ask sooner rather than later as the Exam's are retired the end of Jan.

In the mean time, I was thinking of taking the Network+ (Paying for it myself of course) but what is the general consensus of this cert? I took it a couple of years ago and failed by a small margin, so I am loathe to take it again. However, not only will it be another Cert on my CV, it will also show the company that I am eager to learn and progress.

Just wondered what you guys think?

Thanks

2. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Definitely look at the material if not take the exam, not only is it another feather in your cap but good networking skills are really important for any Wintel related role.

It may also get you a payrise if you can do alot of the work the network guys might have done before.

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

It's a tough one. The N+ is a cracking cert but I suspect you might now know a lot of it already. You've also got the on the job experience now. You're not trying to break into IT. It's just my two cents but I would start studying now for the 680 and 686 because if work won't pay for them I'm guessing you will take them anyway seeing as you are prepared to fund your own N+.

I think sometimes you a person needs to crack on and not wait for their employer, particularly if exams will expire soon...

Good luck, JK

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

If you can spare the £££ for the Network+ - go for it :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs