To Desktop Support or not to Desktop Support

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by BraderzTheDog, May 8, 2012.

1. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Hello CF,

I have a dilemma as my fuse is finally wearing thin at my current roll. As some of you may know I work on a helpdesk all be it a 1st/2nd line roll... I would rather be out there doing something that interests me more, (I know so would everyone, I don't want to write a sob story :twisted: ).

So the real question is... In order to progress my career to where I would ultimately like to be, (Network Engineer) is a move to desktop support more appropriate?

My roll at the moment is with an ISP doing mainly broadband faults and a little bit of client support. Its not actually that technical in honesty more of a process :/

I currently only have the following that would help me in networking,

MTA - Network fundamentals
    CCENT
    CCNA - WIP exam date set 6/6/12

Should I hold out for a junior engineer job or attend the 2 interviews I just got for 1st/2nd line Desktop support jobs (which are offering a little more brass anyway? :biggrin)

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Feel free to bump a thread if you don't get a response after a few days. :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I've got friends who went to desktop support before getting their junior network engineer roles. Look at it this way, if you move, you'll get more momey, learn more skills and most importantly have more opportunity to shine in what is arguably a more technical role. This puts you in a better light when a junior network role comes up. In the mean time get the ICND1 under your belt. I wouldn't worry about the full CCNA until you get your role. Good luck
    Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. mcbro

mcbro Byte Poster

Id go for the desktop support. Adding a Microsoft environment support role would add another string to your bow and the company might see your networking skills and get you to help out with the network once you've got your foot in the door. (Just make sure they dont work in a managed office where they dont touch the network like i did) :dry

Certifications: MCITP:EA, CCNA
  5. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

Why wouldn't you go for the interviews? It's worth it just for the experience, you can always say no if they offer you a job. It is a two way process - you can look at it that you are going to interview two companies if the roles they have are good for you. If you can't progress in your current job you will have to jump ship at some point. Dream job might not necessarily come along next month and after all you'll have more experience to help in the future.

6. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Thanks very much! I'll definitely take on board the advice!

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+