To Be or Not To be...MCDST????

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Bubbaflex, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Bubbaflex

Bubbaflex New Member

Hello all!!!

Im new to the forum so please be gentle!!! lol.

Im looking at a career change to IT and hoping to get some friendly advice? I've always been hooked on IT but never choose it as a career (my big regret) :(

I have plenty of Sales/Customer Service experience but i have no industry experience in IT. Im determined to get my foot in the door for a career change....so I've seriously considered doing the MCDST cert and the A+ for good measures, is that a good starting point? but i dont khow how to tackle the experinece issue??

Can someone please advice me or point in the right direction.....i appreciate any help....thnx

Certifications: .......Nothing worth mentioning!!!
    WIP: MCDST,MCSA
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Bubbaflex. Welcome to CertForums. The A+ cert is always a good starting point. Beyond that, it really depends on what part of IT seems to call to you. If you aren't sure, sticking to the basics is a good idea. Welcome aboard. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome to CF! :biggrin

Firstly, yes I'd say that the certs that you have mentioned would be good starting points towards a support role. I'd also throw in there the Network+.

Secondly, the experience problem, do you use Windows XP? do you have experience of other OS's? Ever installed a new hard disk into a computer? Ever helped someone else to fix a problem? If the answer to the above questions is yes then you are already on the right track to study for the above certs.

8)

4. Bubbaflex

Bubbaflex New Member

Hi Tripwire45,

thank you for replying.....to be honest im hoping to get into technical support for now....im constantly findng myself in every job that i've worked at helping others with there IT problems...even though i dont work in IT.

Im not an expert or anything when it comes to Computers but i know my way around a computer and OS. Im just frustrated in my current job role and want to follow my heart.....which is saying "IT"

Is it worth me taking out a couple of books and studying for the A+/N+/MCDST exams....i dont have enough cheese to pay for a online or class room based course??

5. Bubbaflex

Bubbaflex New Member

Hi simongrahamuk,

i do use XP....im pretty good at building computers and im always helping others fix problems....!!

6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi and welcome aboard. You are thinking the right way about how to get your foot in the door. Certs and experience go together and depending on the supply and demand of your area it can be a rough ride. I am not saying this to put you off or put you down in any way but know from personal experience it is hard.
    Best of luck, there is always lots of good advice here.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. Bubbaflex

Bubbaflex New Member

What books would you recommend to study for A+/N+ and MCDST exams. I know it requires more then sticking my head in a couple of books and hoping for the best...i just want to make sure that i have the right materials to study from......!!

Does any one how much its cost to sit the above exams??

8. Bubbaflex

Bubbaflex New Member

thanx boyce,

to be honest mate, im expecting a rough ride to get into IT....theres so many people out there who want to get on the band waggon.... it just means trying to get the right balance of experience and certs to get that first IT job......in my case a long way off!!!!

9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Bubba,

I can personally recommend Mike Myers All in One Certification guide for the A+ and the Mike Myers All in One Network + Certification guide. I have used both and think highly of them.

As for the MCDST this one by Sybex looks good. Bill Ferguson always has good reviews.

As for the exams then take a look on www.getcertified4less.com before you spend any money :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Welcome to CF, Bubba. Hope you find the help you're looking for :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

G,day and good luck mate 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Your customer service experience will help if you are aiming towards an entry level IT support role which can be customer facing.

Best of luck! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  14. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hi mate.

MCDST was one of the most popular certs a year or so ago, so I guess there must be something in it. It's only two exams so you can't really go wrong - it's not going to clear out your savings or take up the rest of your life.

MS exams cost around £100 (including VAT). Not sure about A+ and N+, but comptia tend to be a little more expensive, at least iNET+ was (£125ish??).

Good luck.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  15. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF [​IMG]

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009