TMA11a&b Perl

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by kazzah, Jun 21, 2006.

1. kazzah

kazzah New Member

hi all, hope someone can help me, im on with a CIW web design manager course and can't seem to understand perl!!! :(
    ive never done any computer programming b4 this course and was'nt expecting to learn so many, (i wanted to learn how to design websites not manage them!!! but never mind it'l come in handy i hope one day)

i've read my manual 3 times, been on perl tutorials on the web and still can't get it to click in my head!!! (feel so daft!!) :oops:

has anyone done this course that could help me to understand so i can get this done???

any help appreicated :biggrin :biggrin

Certifications: none as yet!!!
    WIP: busy studying ciw website manager
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I wish I could help. I'm currently working for a group of software developers. They have merged a bunch of different software groups into one and my job is to take the web content from their various sites and integrate it into one intranet. Perl is one of the primary languages they use and I found a ton of tutorials on Perl. Unfortunately, they are "in house" and I can't authorize access to them from the outside. :(

You might want to try Learning Perl tho. I hear it's a pretty good book. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. kazzah

kazzah New Member

thanks for the reply, i'l have a look at the book ta!!. :cheers

i can't belive no-one at work knows perl, we have a web department and an IT bloke that comes in and none of them use perl or even learnt it???
    thats why i was wondering why i had to learn it if no-one uses it anymore. (but a lot of people on here seem to, must be just work!!!ha.ha.ha.) :noway

Certifications: none as yet!!!
    WIP: busy studying ciw website manager
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Perl is heavily used in the computer industry. Mostly because once you know it it is very easy to knock up small powerfull scripts with it.

It also has a huge number of modules available which can make doing something complicated a breeze instead!

The classic book is known as The Camel Book and this should be on your shelf if you do *any* Perl at all. If you are a programmer you may find the style a bit odd.

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to try and answer them.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. springbackhoolie

springbackhoolie New Member

Hi kazzah

There are a lot of tutoorials but mostly they assume you have a server and some script that you know works. I found that starting out in this there were a few problems on the way to the simplest "Hello World" type script.

There are two sides to this. One side is the server, were the Perl interpreter runs. The other side is the client side, the web page, that contains the "script" that the Perl interpreter...interprets.

Perl scripts are usually xxxx.pl files in the /cgi-bin/ folder on the server.

There are a few problems that can get in the way of this running.

1) The hosting service is not setup correctly, or they plain just dont allow it! Check your hosting actually allows CGI.

2) Even if they allow it, they sometimes limit it so severely that it makes it impossible to run scripts you may get off of the web without many alterations to paths etc.

3) The Permissions are wrong. If I remember right, all Perl scripts need the permissions set to 755 with the CHMOD command or via your FTP client. There may be additional requirements if files need read/write access.

4) A good FTP client like Smart FTP helps, you can see were all the files are and what the true paths are (well nearly).

5) That first line in a Perl script tells it were the programs are. If its wrong, it doesn't work and you get various errors.

There is a good basic tutorial here

http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/Perl/basic.html

Good luck.

Ian.