Tips on creating a CV

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Enigma101, May 24, 2010.

1. Enigma101

Enigma101 Bit Poster

I am in the process of looking for another job, however i am not very experienced when it comes to writing a CV and would like to hear your tips on information to include and Layout.
    Got a rough idea of the information i need to include but have no clue about the layout :eek:

Certifications: 70-270 70-290
    WIP: MCSE
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Have a look at two of my cv's, the #2 document is the one I use now, whilst the first cv was the one I used for a number of years previously.

That's the kind of format and layout that works well with agencies etc.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Impressive CV and experience profile, thanks for sharing:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Some advice as I was just asked for it.

If you like the idea of my cv (and I would go for the Simon Blank.doc over the Simon Blank 2.doc as thats more consultant based) is to expand on the previous experiences. As time goes by and you have more experience to call upon you then reduce the amount of detail you have on your older jobs until you have 2 lines for example.

Ideally the CV should be 2 - 3 pages in length and keep it simple. Always keep it truthful (don't pretend you can do something, no matter how obscure because you will get caught out) and let the CV do the work for you, this is the first thing employers see, if they like the CV and you can talk you way through it then the job is yours to lose (after all, you got the interview so they obviously liked what they saw on your cv).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. Enigma101

Enigma101 Bit Poster

Thanks Simon i very much appreciate you sharing your CV with me and other on Certforums, very impressive Work experience you have also!

Repped :D

Certifications: 70-270 70-290
    WIP: MCSE
  6. DrHogg

DrHogg Bit Poster

My CV was remarkably similar to Blank.doc - all but the font infact. However, I didn't find it was gaining me many leads. I re-wrote my CV similar to Blank 2.doc and suddenly the agencies were interested in me. I'm talking 3/4 months ago, so I'm amused at how similar the CV's look. :)

I agree that it used to be the norm that agents wanted one that looked like Blank.doc, but as I said, in recent times they seem to ignore those now... I guess because it's a wall of text (or at least that's why I got annoyed at my own CV.)

I had one agent recommend I add things like TCP/IP, WAN and LAN. He said, "I know that they're silly things to put on a CV given that you can't have done half the things you have done without knowing the subjects, but companies often just look for those keywords." So now I have a bullet point that solely reads: Networking (TCP/IP, LAN & WAN)

Last edited: May 25, 2010
    WIP: 70-682