Tips for the 70-642 Certification Exam

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by hextet, Jan 10, 2014.

1. hextet

hextet New Member

Hello, next week I'll be taking my 70-642 certification exam. I have the 70-642 textbook from microsoft and the lab manual, and spent 4 months learning it with my school. I took a look around the web at some experiences with this cert, and some practice questions taken from real exams, and it appears to cover material which wasn't covered in the textbook. Things like DHCPv6, Active Directory, etc... So this has me a little worried.

Anyone have any tips, or tricks to help me pass this exam? I'll be reading through the book, attempting some home made labs, and looking at various online resources to help study. I'll also be taking a look at the technet resources on the Microsoft page for this exam and studying the breakdown thoroughly.

I was feeling confident until I learned that things which weren't covered in the book, are on the exam. How does this exam compared to A+ 220-701 and 220-702?

2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Hi, I passed this last month, to pass this exam I basically trawled through TechNet to cover all the materials

I used the link below to create a folder structure top level folders as the main topics (Configuring Address and Services) and sub folders relating to sub topics (Configure IPv4 and IPv6 addressing, Configure Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) etc), and then each item I created a word document (e.g. Configure IP address options; subnetting; supernetting; multi-homed; interoperability between IPv4 and IPv6)

Exam 70-642: Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuring

Then for each document I searched TechNet and downloaded the relevant TechNet article into a folder and wrote out what I thought were the important bits and also went through the interface and tried to do some examples.

I would say if you have a week you wont have time to do this, but if you apply this method to the areas you are unsure of in the link then you may be able to fill in the gaps.

Good luck!

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. hextet

hextet New Member

Alright thanks for the tips, that sounds like a really useful way to prepare!
    The only things I'm unsure of are DirectAccess, managing file server resources, and the entire monitoring and managing a network infrastructure section.
    I'm not planning to pass it this time, just looking to scope out the exam but I feel pretty good.

How hard of an exam was it? Was everything covered in the exam listed in the microsoft.com page for this exam?

4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Was reasonably hard, a lot of areas were covered, not every exam is the same so there would be no point in saying study anything specifically (Plus the NDA says I cant discuss the questions I encountered in the exam).

For the areas you aren't confident with check out TechNet, there are some good Direct Access videos (I think on TechNet edge), File/print useful to lab as well as TechNet and the same with monitoring (performance monitor, event viewer, reliability monitor and so on)

I would also try to be confident on features that are new to 2008 r2.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  5. hextet

hextet New Member

I took the exam friday and failed with a 600/700
    It was quite hard, and I noticed it mostly was about NAP and DNS. I had difficulties with the questions relating to R2 and Active Directory but I'm not sure how I can prepare or those more.
    I have the CBT nuggets series on 70-642 so I'll be looking over those and on technet as well.