tips before exam

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Island3r, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Island3r

Island3r Nibble Poster

Hi dudes and dudettes

i've been reading some of the 290 threads with great interest and well done to all those who has pass and good luck to everyone who is about to take it. I hope this will benefit the latter as i am one of them, i'm taking the 290 before xmas (hopefully) and just wanted a few tips (without souding like i'm cheating) you know the kind of thing, whats the hottest topic in the exam, how do you prepare during the final days leading up to the exam, and cheap(free) websites that have sample questions or reading material etc.

i've been using the m$ training kit and cbt nuggets as my training material and the measure up disk that was with the training kit and a pre sp1 transcender for practice exams. i hate reading (or can't stay focused long enough to complete a full chapter) so the cbt nuggests were great. i read the thread on not being able to read for long periods which was very useful, i thought it was only me:biggrin

i'm finding the questions a bit awkward, they're very long and i normally need to read them twice so by the end of the exam i'm running out of time. is anyone having this problem? :( I'm scoring around the 700-790 mark at the moment which i think is too close to the failure mark but i hope to improve that before i take the exam.

anyway folks i think i've gone on long enough, back to the books for me - can't wait to see your response and.......Its great to be back!8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA 2003, MCTS: Windows Vista, Config, MCTS: Exchange 2007, Config, MCTS: Server 2007 Active Directory, Config, MCTS: Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, CEH
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I cant answer anything about the 290 exams as I havent taken any yet.

But when I have done exams for anything in the past I have found it best not to over study, i.e dont go mental on revising on the day of the exam just have a quick glance at any notes or highlighted points you have made for about 10 minutes.

Make sure you have eaten well before hand but stay off the really fatty foods, I always have fish & chips and make sure I have it all done 10 minutes before an exam, it may sound funny but fish is brain food and something light like that can make all the difference

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

tips before the exam - I've only taken 2 IT exams, but countless dozens for my degree and I prepare all of them the same way

nothing

I do nothing different than normal. I sat 1 A+ exam after work one day, the other one I took on a Saturday afternoon and was 45 minutes late after being stuck in a traffic jam. My degree I spent it in the bar, in the library, in the radio station on campus, eating food, campaigning for a student election once.....

I've got my degree and my A+, if you know the material take the exam, if you don't or don't feel confident, delay the exam and take it when you are ready. There is no point in trying for an exam just on the hope that you'll pass, you should pass it because you understand the material.

Anyway, good luck with it, you seem on the ball - just make sure you know everything.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Free websites usually provide either low-quality questions or braindumps. Either way, you probably want to avoid them.

With cheap... remember that you often get what you pay for. Sometimes, bad training IS worse than no training at all.

The questions on the live exam are sometimes long and awkward. The trick is to pick out the important details that they're asking about, ignoring irrelevant information. Real-world experience is incredibly valuable in this respect.

Derkit's right: if you understand the material, you should pass the exam. Simple as that! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

There will be a few sims in the exam, make sure you take your time with them as Im sure they are worth a few points. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Island3r

Island3r Nibble Poster

wow thanks for the response guys i had forgotten how quick your are around here.

i agree real world experience are a must for these exam, when doing the practice tests thats whats been helping me the most - i try to compare most questions to a real world situation, i've found the sims quite easy because you can see what your doing which i find a lot easier than trying to remember the steps in my head.

anyways thanks again, if there's any more comments out there feel free - have a good one8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA 2003, MCTS: Windows Vista, Config, MCTS: Exchange 2007, Config, MCTS: Server 2007 Active Directory, Config, MCTS: Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, CEH
  7. Steve.L

Steve.L Byte Poster

Hi

I found the questions asked on the ms training disc quite a lot harder than the actual questions. Also what ha already been stated is read the question fully and look at the hidden meanings, the answer is sometimes in the way the question is structured seems especially so with microsoft.

Good Luck

Steve.L

Certifications: N+, MCP, MCTS, RHCT, VCP4 and 5, RHCSA
    WIP: ccna
  8. GW

GW Byte Poster

I took the 290 last month and the questions are not too long, mostly a paragraph or two in lenght, one thing you do want to do is make sure you are up to speed on permissions both Share and NTFS and that you have practiced in a lab environment the different topics areas such as permissions, backups and such.

Basically you are going to encounter questions on all of the topic areas that Microsoft lists on their website for the exam, if you have a weak area or two it's best that you work a little bit more on those areas and work thrm out in a lab which really helps but make sure you go over all of the other topics.

Before taking an exam what I normally do is use the bathroom on site and do both #1 and #2 since whenever I get tense or stressed I really have to go (not good in a middle of an exam) and wash my face real good, it refreshes me and the cool water is somewhat relaxing.

GW

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA
  9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I'm with GBL on this one. I tend to check notes I have done myself in the last hour or so before the exam, but nothing heavy. Just skimming some key points. If you haven't taken the material in by that point it's highly unlikely to sink in just before the exam.

Remember that you can reset the simulations without any penalty (other than time I guess). So have a work through your answer first by trying it out, then reset the sim and do it for real.

Certainly for me, I have found that my first instinct about an answer to a question is usually right. This may be different for you, but I very rarely go back and change my answer after I have already moved on to another question. Occasionally, you will get a tipoff in a later question that helps you answer an earlier one. You may see a dialogue box that you couldn't remember something about etc... Nice when that happens if it makes you more sure of a previous answer.

Finally, I have been using Cramsession guides for my last few exams and have found them a useful summary of the main objectives in the exam and what you need to know. They are free to download from ( www.cramsession.com). I know BM doesn't rate free stuff, but I think cramsession guides can be quite good.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree, if I don't go with my gut instinct then I start to question myself and really mess up my exam (2 time I did that I failed the exam).

I also like cramsession, in fact I actually recommend it to my students as another study tool (do not confuse it with being the sole tool to study from).

Good luck with the exam.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I don't rate SOME free stuff. There are notable exceptions. The problem is, is that the exceptions are few and far between. Those that are good should be pointed out as much as possible. :)

That said, GBL makes a good point: don't use it (or for that matter, anything free) as your sole source of training (unless you're reading through hundreds of Microsoft online TechNet resources... though you might want to load up on caffeine first!).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. Island3r

Island3r Nibble Poster

once again guys your doing yourselves proud with these reponses, thanks.

i understand what your saying about the free material, and how some could be dodgy. the cramsession looks good though, i find it good to read material from different people/publishers just to help me understand it fully.

have a good weekend dudes and dudettes, don't study to hard8)

13. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

I know it's been posted here before, but itidiots have a 290 webcast that's pretty good. I know it isn't "reading" material, but it is pretty concise.

I will say one thing for me is that I do best not really touching the material the day of the test... otherwise overthinking and cramming + nerves can be a receipe for disaster for myself. I do best having a normal day, but making sure to get some sleep the night before. Nothing is worse than being exhausted for a big test.

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822