Timescale for MCDST to MCSA

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Feellex, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Feellex

Feellex Bit Poster

Can anybody give a reasonable timescale to complete MCDST to MCSA including the inbetween stages? I want to plan my next 12 months of study before I finalise my CDL. It would also be useful to know how long the MCSA to MCSE would take. I realise everyone is different but I just want to get an idea rather than an exact number of hours...months...:ohmy

Certifications: None....yet!
    WIP: Still planning
  2. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

It all depends on a few things such as the individual, amount of study time your putting in etc. Its taken me just under 4 months to complete MCDST (but i had jury service in there aswell, so that halted my progress a bit).

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

It took me 1 1/2 years to complete MCSA from start to finish... some of the exams are harder to study for than others so take your time...

good luck! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Feellex,

Whilst important to make a plan for your learning, it is more important to gain a good understanding of the topics covered and not just race against the clock.

Good luck.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Feellex

Feellex Bit Poster

Thank you all. That gives me some idea of where to go from here. I am looking to do A+ and N+ first so I probably won't even start the MCDST until August anyway. Thanks again.

6. Raffaz

Im guessing your on about THE BEAST are ya:)

7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Jury service?

Did someone nick a kebab? :twisted:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I spent less time studying for the beast (70-291) than I did for either the 70-270 or the 70-290. It was about 8 weeks in total.

Having said that I studied far more intensivley during that time than I did when I was doing the other exams.

This kind of question gets asked many times (how long will x take ...) and the answer is always different depending on the individual.

Like Boyce said, it's not a race. You have to study at a pace that is comfortable for you. If you go to quickly, the concepts may not sink in propely, or if you spend too long you may forget things ...

It's most certainly not an exact science. Much also depends on your background experience and exposure to the subject material. When I took the A+ a while back it was like a light refresher course for me as I have worked hands on with PC's and all the MS OS's ever since MS DOS 3.3, but I still took my time with the studying and was throrough becuase the exams cost a lot and I didn't want to blow it by underestimating it.

Anyway, good luck with the A+ I think you will enjoy learning all about it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Its not a race :biggrin

When you start studying you will get a better idea in regard to how many hours you can spare for studying each week and how you take to the material.

Some peeps can just read a good tech book and pass the exam, others need classroom training, there is no exact formula for how long a cert should take. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. Raffaz

No, believe it or not but someone murdered a choclolate ostrich hunter lol:twisted:

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It takes some people hours... it takes some people years. All depends on your experience level, the time you have to study, the distractions and/or other responsibilities you have, whether you are allowed to study at work, how much or how little money you have to spend on training materials and software, how well you retain information, etc.

Bottom line, we can't tell you how long it will take you, specifically, to get your MCSA... or to take ANY exam, for that matter.

That said... I wish you the best of luck! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

One other thing I can add, that was said to me when I first signed up on CF by Bluerinse;

"The more you learn, the easier it becomes to learn".
    Personally, I have found this to be true.

This doesn't mean that an MCSE is easier than an A+, but once you begin training yourself, your brain becomes accustomed to learning new material and you will supprise yourself as to what you can take in.

Good luck.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  13. Feellex

Feellex Bit Poster

Ok thanks for that guys. I'll try to chill out a bit and forget about the stopwatch. Slow and steady has always been my style anyway :)

14. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

There is something similar I find also.

The more I learn the more I realise how little I really do know and how much there is to learn. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada