Timed Dimmer

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Fergal1982, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Hey guys, Anyone have any idea where I could get a timed dimmer for a socket? I've got a timer at the moment, with the light programmed to come on at 7am and off at 7pm, but its a straightforward on/off timer - unfortunately it has an annoying habit of blowing the light - was hoping I could get a timed dimmer so that it comes on gradually to reduce the blowouts (these lights arent exactly cheap).

Another proviso is that id rather the timer was set between the socket and the plug, rather than the lightsocket and the bulb.

Any ideas? I cant see any anywhere.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hm - what sort of bulb is it? Incandescant bulbs are cheap - so it sounds like something special.

Good timers shouldn't be blowing bulbs - it sounds like a fault in the timer to me, or badly designed.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Its a heatlamp for a vivarium. about 6 quid a pop. Not hideously expensive, but when its blowing every other month it mounts up (they should be replaced every 6 months).

Could be a bad timer - although If i could get a dimmer that would be better too - simulate sunset/sunrise.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Don't know much about those. My inclination would be to see what the rating of the timeswitch is. It should be *at least* double that of the lamp, if not higher.

Also - it is the type with a relay - or electronic? I prefer good quality relays for this sort of thing rather than electronic - the electronic one can get upset by spikes in the power.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+